1. Kirk
    Kirk August 8, 2005 at 7:47 am | | Reply

Actually Amy I have found the Glycemic Load to be a much better indicator for me. You might want to look into that one.

Always remember that the “experts” (i.e. ADA) do not live with it daily. In short adopt and use whatever works for you. Live long and prosper….

2. sam
    sam August 8, 2005 at 10:44 am | | Reply

I’ve never followed Atkins or the glycemic index, but I’ve gotten very good results — in terms of blood glucose, blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides — following a low-carb diet. My CDE and my doctor both say “Keep doing whatever you’re doing!”

3. Alexis
    Alexis August 8, 2005 at 11:49 am | | Reply

Mendosa has a good page on getting up to speed on GI. http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

4. Nick
    Nick August 8, 2005 at 2:32 pm | | Reply

I stopped paying attention to GI. I just avoid starchy vegetables like corn, peas, fruits, refined grains like pasta and bread, and root vegetables like potatoes and yams. These ALL raise the blood sugar too quickly for any kind of insulin to be able to compensate.

5. Living With Diabetes
    Living With Diabetes August 8, 2005 at 2:55 pm | | Reply

Disclosure

Diabetes Mine: Look Who’s Talking Self-Disclosure (on dLife), and The Great Glycemic Index Debate It’s interesting that you bring this up TODAY when I have to remind people. I get really sick when my blood sugar is too high and…

6. medmusings
    medmusings August 9, 2005 at 11:20 pm | | Reply

links for 2005-08-10

Diabetes Mine: Look Who’s Talking Self-Disclosure (on dLife), and The Great Glycemic Index Debate “GI is now being used as the basis for a new diet fad: the Next Big Thing after Atkins bites the dust?… No, no, no! Yet another utterly imbalanced way …

7. AmyT
    AmyT August 10, 2005 at 6:42 am | | Reply

Nick,
    I agree. When it comes to my day-to-day eating and dosing habits, I basically ignore the GI. I mean, because like you, I’ve learned on my own which foods will send my BG through the roof.

8. Kelli
    Kelli January 26, 2008 at 9:22 am | | Reply

We’ve found looking for high fiber food and “mixing” food, ie. pizza w/ a salad instead of alone works as well and is much easier than using the GI index