Annual CDE Meeting News

The annual Star_monumentmeeting of the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) starts today in Washington, DC. This event promises to bring together about 5,000 experts and educators for both an expo and a series of courses on the latest and greatest in D-care. This year’s theme is “Monumental Opportunities,” an obvious reference to the capital city venue, and also an allusion to just how BIG diabetes has become.

One organizer is quoted as saying: “Even five years ago, diabetes wasn’t the hot issue that it is today… Diabetes is on the front page of newspapers and on the evening news. As diabetes educators we need to take advantage of the public’s heightened awareness of the disease in order to secure the future of our profession. Now is the time.” Presumably, they’re looking to secure a positive future for patients as well. Anyone talking CURE here?!

Anyway, a downloadable conference newspaper lets you follow the Daily News Online if you are so inclined.

One of the biggest wow’s promises to be the unvieling of the OmniPod tubeless pump (which I wrote about a few weeks ago). As one of my readers, Alexis, notes: we’re not sure if “introduced” means “telling the world all about it,” or actually “available now.” If you are seriously interested, you can sign up for a company newsletter at the OmniPod link above. Stay tuned.

1. Paula Ford-Martin
    Paula Ford-Martin August 10, 2005 at 1:38 pm | | Reply

Hey Amy. If you (or anyone else) is going to AADE, stop by the dLife booth (#1505) and say hi!

2. D double E
    D double E August 10, 2005 at 2:10 pm | | Reply

Thanks for the info Amy. I wish I had know about this sooner or I would have registered to check out the expo. I drove right past the conference on my way to work this morning and nothing ever even clicked that it was going on.

Dee

3. charles
    charles August 11, 2005 at 10:50 am | | Reply

i’ll check out the links, wish i were i bit closer to check it out. thanks though.

4. Kelsey Bonilla
    Kelsey Bonilla August 11, 2005 at 12:22 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy, that quote from the diabetes educator about “securing the future of our profession” struck me. Diabetes is a disease, and the hope of the medical profession should be to eliminate this disease and thus terminate the need for diabetes educators. By seeking to secure their profession, they’re striving to keep diabetics living with the disease instead of curing it.

I had a doctor who was type 1 himself, he told me years ago that the technology to cure diabetes is ready, however the diabetic care industry is so huge that there isn’t a real economic push to cure the disease. I can’t speak to the validity of that statement, but comments like this educator’s makes me skeptical about the “business” that profits from diabetes. Wow, that was kind of a long rant! Thanks for bringing information to the diabetic public!

5. Jim Nelson
    Jim Nelson August 17, 2005 at 8:04 am | | Reply

Kelsey,

I try not to be cynical, but I can’t help but agree with you. Pharmaceutical companies will not be the source of a cure either. According to http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/08/news/fortune500/diabetes/ , diabetes drugs were a $12B product in 2004 and are expected to grow at twice the pace of other types of drugs for the next several years. I suspect a significant amount of university research on diabetes is performed in collaboration with drug companies, so I don’t look to academia alone for a cure either. I just don’t see how a cure, which would effectively eliminate the market for these drugs, would be something pharmaceutical companies would pursue. Treatments, yes. Cure, no.

I suspect there’s plenty of good research out there that isn’t tied financially to the perpetuation of treatment. Government labs? Academia w/o drug company tie-in? I’d guess the cure will come from these sources.

-Jim
    34, type 1 since 6 w/no complications.

6. Kassie
    Kassie August 19, 2005 at 8:33 am | | Reply

I have seen The Pod… and I must say I was intrigued enough to give my contact info to my local rep. I’m one who always has their tubing hanging out and today, when my 3 year old’s leg got wrapped up when I was carrying him (and almost popped the set out of me), I was thinking how nice it would be to be tubing-free.

The size of the pod still strikes me as big (but not as big as I imagined) and the PDM unit is smaller than I expected.

The rep did tell me that they have cases with clips that can be used to clip the PDM onto your belt loop or purse (thereby addressing my big fear: how do I keep from losing this thing?)

Word is that it will be available for purchase in October, so in this case, ‘introducing’ did mean ‘telling the world about it’ vs. ‘available now’.