Amy’s Diabetes Haiku

The girls have been out of summer camp and freewheeling, awaiting the start of school for 2 weeks now. Mom’s list of entertainments and distractions is severly waning… Seemed like a good time for a little diabetes-inspired Enlightenment:

Glucose testing –
How I procastinate.
What? I’m not eating yet.

Counting the carbs
of a large bowl of cereal.
Too much, too much.

On a summer’s day,
I inject.
Will there be a bruise?

Round, sweet tablets,
in my mouth
Not the dessert I dreamed of.

Haikutoaster

And a special nod to my favorite “Excuse Haiku” from Will Femia of What I Clicked:

My blog calls to me.
How can I avoid working?
Let me count the ways.

Ah, yes. That, too.

1. Kirk
    Kirk August 31, 2005 at 7:36 am | | Reply

Poke My Finger Much
    50,000 times I’ve shot
    And still not leaking

2. Nick
    Nick August 31, 2005 at 8:19 am | | Reply

This reminds me of something I probably ought share with you.
    Recently a lancing device broke, leaving me with a couple big pieces of plastic and a little metal spring. I put a lancing tip (point) in my jar of bg test strips, in case this ever happens while I’m running and the tip goes into the ditch. I need to keep close tab on my bg while running!
    Nick

3. Dr. Roosevelt
    Dr. Roosevelt August 31, 2005 at 11:05 am | | Reply

Haikus have to be 5-7-5. I have a number of them published in the Japanese Cultural News of SoCal and that is the meter they want.

Try this:

“Cut down by a foe,
    Smaller than a grain of sand.
    Damn that blood sugar.”

4. AmyT
    AmyT August 31, 2005 at 3:28 pm | | Reply

Ah, Dr. Roosevelt, but FREESTYLE HAIKU is now prevailing all over the United States. See this link: http://www.youngleaves.org/activities/2000contest.htm , and also the World Haiku Club at http://www.worldhaikuclub.org/pages/linkspoetryorg.html

I suppose I should have labelled mine as such :)

5. Kirk
    Kirk August 31, 2005 at 4:51 pm | | Reply

Haiku requires real skill when doing 5-7-5. None of this “cheating” freestyle stuff Amy. The Doc, Lawyer and PHD is the guru. After all he practices Japanese martial arts.

Captkirk

6. charles
    charles August 31, 2005 at 10:03 pm | | Reply

very nice wording!

7. Gina
    Gina September 1, 2005 at 6:02 am | | Reply

Omg 5-7-5 haiku we used to do it in elementary school hahaha im gonna try:

Diabetes Sucks
    At times it makes me queezy
    God damn Diabetes

8. Dr. Roosevelt
    Dr. Roosevelt September 1, 2005 at 7:25 am | | Reply

Amy,
    Free style haiku is to real haiku as a lightning bug is to lightning.

9. AmyT
    AmyT September 1, 2005 at 8:39 am | | Reply

Pisha, Dr.R! I believe in artistic license.

And leave it to the Diabetes Experts to be sticklers about the numbers, ay?

10. Dr. Roosevelt
    Dr. Roosevelt September 3, 2005 at 11:31 am | | Reply

Hiaku is based on the difficult art of putting a complete thought into a strict formula.

If you just want to do haiku try this:

As to whether diabetes experts are sticklers about the numbers remember, the process defines the outcome. “There is either do or no do, there is no try.” (Yoda)

11. Kirk
    Kirk September 6, 2005 at 7:43 am | | Reply

Hear Hear Dr R… You hit it on the head you either do it your you die. Seems the politically correct crowd doesn’t like the impact of the cold hard truth. “Yoda is my hero!!!”