1. Kathleen Weaver
    Kathleen Weaver July 6, 2005 at 3:02 pm | | Reply

Yes, dear, someone CAN hurt themselves with it, even the teeny pen needles. And it can scare the bejesus out of them, with AIDS and hepititas (sp) around.

I’ve blogged on this in the past, I keep sharps containers at home, in my car, and in my classroom, and I make sure everyone knows what they are. Especially my custodians. They don’t need the worry.

FYI: My own city won’t dispose of the sharps containers — I buy mine from a mail by program. Well, they finally grudging said they would take them if I filled the container with paster of paris. Too much effort!!!

2. Nick
    Nick July 6, 2005 at 4:38 pm | | Reply

I use insulin pens that deliver in 1-unit increments. I usually wait to change the tips until I’m in my room, so I can discard the old ones into an empty soda bottle. If I change a tip while out, I put the old tip into my black bag. I suppose I should put another empty soda bottle in my automobile so I can always put the trashed tips there.

Which pen do you have the dials in half-unit increments? I’d like to get one of those. What is it called?

3. AmyT
    AmyT July 6, 2005 at 6:17 pm | | Reply

Nick,
    It’s actually a pen made for kids: the Novo Nordisk Junior Pen, at:

4. Bob
    Bob July 7, 2005 at 7:54 am | | Reply

BD makes a needle clipping device that is about 1/2″ wide and 2″ long. Extremely portable!

5. Bryce Zabel
    Bryce Zabel July 7, 2005 at 9:13 am | | Reply

Very useful site. Both my parents had diabetes and, so far, I have avoided it, but I’m at that age where it’s a real possibility. Plus, I have to take shots for something else, so I see your point. Thanks!

6. Tiffany
    Tiffany July 7, 2005 at 11:22 am | | Reply

Hi Amy.
    I was going to suggest the same thing as Bob (he beat me to it lol; my post got lost in cyberspace). The BD Safe Clip Device [ http://www.bddiabetes.com/us/product/safeclip.asp ] does work on pen needles; I have used it in the past.

Chances are probably slim that someone would hurt themselves on your disposed needles; but all it would take is one cat on garbage day…and one kid walking by afterwards with bare feet…not to mention sharps are not biodegradable.

Good job on the digital cam pic lol :)

Tiffany

7. carol
    carol July 7, 2005 at 12:01 pm | | Reply

my daughter, 9, was diagnosed 1/05 so as newbies i still get surprised when i find syringes in all my purses! i have a collection of filled sharps containers on my dresser waiting to be dropped off at the hospital! isn’t life grand!

8. Sally
    Sally July 7, 2005 at 1:30 pm | | Reply

Hi! Thanks for the comment on my blog! ^_^

I haven’t had too much of an issue with this. I usually only have three pieces of trash, though. (Alchohol wipe, lancet, and a used syringe.)

I typically just cap the syringe and slip it inside my “medical pocket” in my purse. The lancet stays inside my lancet device or is folded up with the used alcohol wipe inside the envelope it came in. Then it goes into that same pocket.

I’ve made it a habit to check that pocket before and after I get home so I can dispose of any trash properly.

I haven’t tried to dispose of a sharps container in my new town yet, so here’s hoping.

9. JER
    JER July 7, 2005 at 5:37 pm | | Reply

Hi – I love your site. As a type-1 diab for 30+ years (yet still young-ish!), I’m sort of the voice of the ‘dark side’. I’m an engineer by trade, but I recommend this: USE your blood sticker sharps repeatedly – they’re sharp enough to handle the stress, and they’re highly coated with protective agents. When you have to dump them, stick the old sharp into the cap of the new sharp. Also, I do needles, and I use ‘em over & over – same concept. Of course I re-cap after every use. In 30 years, I have had not a SINGLE infection. This was told to me by a groundbreaking nurse at UCSF in the 80s, and it lets us diabetics exert some small control over the insistence by the pharmaceutical industries that we throw away everything immediately. They profit, we struggle with sharp metal throwaways.
    No need to be a martyr here; just think that the re-use even once or twice is more than safe. I’m speaking empirically – from my experience and those near me, but, come on, our voices are not high-priority with the pharma folks who want you to buy as much as possible and discard quickly.
    Try it just once: check your blood twice with one sticker; save. They would not be able to manufacture that stuff unless it had high integrity against contamination.

10. Jana
    Jana July 7, 2005 at 6:05 pm | | Reply

I threatened to just throw my needles straight into the trash until my college health center provided me with a sharps container. When I’m out, I recap my needles until I get home and then I toss them in the sharps bin. I also toss my lancets in the sharps bin.

I still don’t know what to do about the d-trash though. Once I was terribly embarassed at a restaurant when the waiter insisted on cleaning up my alcohol wipe and used test strip. When I’m at a restaurant with disposable napkins, I usually wrap up my d-trash in the napkin after I’m done eating. Then I don’t have to worry about throwing it away, and no one else has to see it.

11. Edward
    Edward July 7, 2005 at 9:29 pm | | Reply

Hi

I concur with Sally. I use my needles about ten times and lances for nearly 40 times. Both items when dull is easy to notice -it either sticks slightly before going through the skin or in the case of the lance is starts to hurt more for very little blood.

I have never had an infection.

I use the case or caps of the new to store the old for proper disposal.

Great site. I am new to T1 diabetes and trying to learn everything possible.
    The novo pen with 1/2 unit dialing is news to me so I learned something important. I am very lucky and have very tight control to date – more of a function of being athletic and the displine training lifestyle I have always lived with than any brains on my part. A 1/2 unit increament would help a lot since it allows for more fine tuning and control.

Its time to trade in the old model for a new one.

Take care

Edward

12. Edward
    Edward July 7, 2005 at 9:33 pm | | Reply

Sorry. I misread the tags – its JER I concur with.

Edward

13. Jeff
    Jeff July 10, 2005 at 3:11 pm | | Reply

I’m with you. When I am out, I recap the sharps and chuck’em in the trash. Let somebody freak out if they want. The sharps are covered. As far as disposing of large amounts. I fill coffee cans at home and when they are full I tape them up and put them in with the other trash. The trash man has never said anything.

14. R.J.
    R.J. July 15, 2005 at 1:30 pm | | Reply

I have an empty metal container of Wrigley’s (TM) Winterfrost eclipse mints (other flavors work too :) that I use to store my used test strips or whatever else until I can dispose of them properly, sort of like a portable trash can. It’s got a flip top and is kinda neat (I live a sheltered life). I also have a small sharps container that I use for my syringes. The brand name is Voyager ( http://www.safemedical.com ) and it is much smaller than the BD sharps containers. It is great for syringes but I’m guessing that it won’t work for pen needles :( Maybe the mint container would work, I don’t know. BTW, the mints are delicious and I do have *very* fresh breath.

15. Candice Bradley
    Candice Bradley July 17, 2005 at 1:24 pm | | Reply

I never discard my needles, etc. in public places. Ouch! Somebody could get hurt. Plus, there is all that paranoia about blood. I bring my needles home and put them in a container to take to the doctor’s office, so they can put them in the biohazardous waste containers.

I was in Africa for quite a long time, and there really was no way to dispose of my needles. I ALWAYS carried one of those little devices that chops the needle off the syringe. Those things seem to hold an infinite number of needles! So maybe you want to carry one of those.

By no means do you want to leave your needles, test strips, alcohol wipes, anyplace where anyone except you has to handle them.

Candice