Pump Without Tubing Coming Soon

This is why I am waiting a while to go on the pump: innovative new products making their way to market.

Rumor has it that Insulet Corp’s new OmniPod dual insulin delivery and BG monitorinOmnipodg system will be announced as available (via perscription) at the upcoming AADE annual diabetic educators’ conference, being held this year in Washington, DC, in mid-August.

The “pod” uses no tubing but rather is attached directly to the skin via a cannula that is automatically inserted (you just push a button). It delivers insulin according to pre-programmed instructions transmitted wirelessly from the other half of the system, a “Personal Diabetes Manager” (PDM) wireless, hand-held device that controls and monitors the operation of the OmniPod, and is used to check BG levels using FreeStyle test strips. The system already received FDA approval in January.

Read the whole story on the OmniPod at DiabetesInControl.com. According to this site, OmniPods will only cost a fraction of what most pumps go for, so doctors should be more willing to prescribe and health plans more willing to cover them. I hope this is true. If the early adopters like it well enough, I might be next in line!

1. Sandra Miller
    Sandra Miller July 1, 2005 at 4:58 pm | | Reply

I don’t know Amy. When I look at the image of this device I can just see my son losing the part of the system that transmits the bolus. Yes, tubing is a drag. But for a child who sometimes misplaces his meter, I do like having an all-in-one pump attached to him. Of course, YMMV.

And btw, thanks for the kinds words over at my blog. It really does help to know that my son is not alone on that wild rollercoaster of highs and lows.

Take care,

Sandra

2. charles
    charles July 1, 2005 at 9:45 pm | | Reply

very cool. technology is so amazing. i hope it works well and the expense would be well worth it, especially if cheaper than existing pumps.

3. AmyT
    AmyT July 2, 2005 at 12:14 pm | | Reply

Sandra:
    You’re probably right that this isn’t the best choice for small children. But it sure looks promising for the rest of us :)

4. Kathleen Weaver
    Kathleen Weaver July 2, 2005 at 2:22 pm | | Reply

Do you really want to risk your vision, your kidneys, etc. do wait on this?

Man, I wouldn’t. And have you REALLY looked it at? I wear a pump now, IR1250, and there is NO way, I would wear that system.

First the insulin set is going to be bulky.

Second, if you have bad insertation, it’s going to cost more than $10 to replace it.

Third, their sending unit is as big as the Animas 1250.

Remember something real important. The Minimed Guardian system received FDA approval over 1 1/2 years ago, and we still can’t buy it.

In my opinion, you’re better off sticking with the technology we have now, rather than waiting.

Tubing isn’t really that big of a deal.

5. AmyT
    AmyT July 2, 2005 at 3:01 pm | | Reply

Not risking anything. I’m in good control now.

Thanks for the input, K.

6. Violet
    Violet July 3, 2005 at 11:10 am | | Reply

You guys all know I’m a passionate pro-pumper, but I completely agree that good control is possible via multiple methods. Each of us deserves support in making the best possible choices for ourselves and our children as individuals with varying needs and concerns. Amy, you’ve got mine.

7. AmyT
    AmyT July 4, 2005 at 8:54 am | | Reply

Thanks for your support, Violet.

Also for the record here: I have discovered that there is a whole contingent of Type 1′s who are adamant about NOT going on the pump, including dLife CEO Howard Steinberg and show host Jim Turner.

8. Violet
    Violet July 4, 2005 at 8:02 pm | | Reply

No doubt. It’s a complex choice with solid reasons pro and con depending on the individual & the situation.

I can’t imagine how ANY method of diabetes management that isn’t welcomed (well, relatively, ahem) by the patient is likely to succeed. Or if not welcomed, at least accepted.

9. DensityDuck
    DensityDuck July 5, 2005 at 5:46 am | | Reply

Oh look, someone took an insulin pen and subtracted everything that made it good.

10. R.J.
    R.J. July 15, 2005 at 1:09 pm | | Reply

Yes, saw that in the Diabetes In Control site too. It reminds me of a limpet on a ship (“Arrrrr!”). What I wonder about is how much does the cannula hurt, and does it cause scarring?

11. Rhoda Gravador
    Rhoda Gravador November 11, 2005 at 12:23 pm | | Reply

Just came across this site and it’s fantabulous! I’ve been trying to see when this pod thing was coming out and i even called insulet directly, and all they said was that they need to increase their personnel before the product is available in most parts of the US. however, they already have some users. anyone know anything about their timeline? btw-just got diagnosed with type 1 in july, 3 weeks before my wedding. WOOHOO!

12. Debbie
    Debbie February 25, 2006 at 6:42 pm | | Reply

I contacted Insulet middle of February for info on the Omnipod. That evening I was contacted by a rep living in VA. I’m in WV. My endo signed the letter of medical necessity form and I’ve completed and mailed the other forms for insurance verification. The rep is meeting with my endo next month and with me March 16th. Looks like I may be getting one if my health insurance will cover the expense, or at least most of the expense. Initial start up is $2100 which is $800 for the PDM and 4 months supply of pods. Diagnosed with type 1 May 2005. Looked at other pumps but hated the thought of dealing with the tubing.

13. Payam
    Payam July 28, 2006 at 4:28 pm | | Reply

Hi,

I’m Payam. My beloved 3 year old nephew was discovered to be diabetic type 1 aroud 10 days ago. My sorrow is beyond belief. After spending some time on the web we decided that CSII therapy is a must and OmniPod is THE choice. Turns out OmniPod is not yet? distributed outside the States. FDA has approved it just for inside the States. And naturally a prescription is needed. Thing is, we are living in Iran and even though speaking English is not a barrier for us especially when it comes to contactng OmniPod customer supper or reading/applying OmniPod mannuals and whatnot and even though we are ready, able to and willing to pay for the PDA, the backup PDA, and test tape and supplies of one full year and again even though we do have relatives/friends inside the States to buy/send us the product, OmniPod says they can’t let us have it unless we are there and we have a prescription written by a physisian inside the states. I phoned OmniPod’s customer support a couple minutes ago. They said there is no way on earth they’re gonna send us the product. Well it’s reasonable but I wish they could see this little child’s face from his uncle/parents point of view. I’m so down I can barely breathe. Can you think of a ‘work around’? Question is: How can we possibly have this OmniPod despite the aforementioned criteria?
    We’re gonna need your help. Will you help us? Let me know your opinion preferably thru my email: payam7777777@hotmail.com

Best.

14. Amanda
    Amanda January 10, 2007 at 9:18 am | | Reply

I just came across this site and read all your comments. This is a great resource! I was diagnosed with Type 1 this past July (I am 30 yrs old). I just started on the OmniPod about 6 weeks ago, and I LOVE IT!! I can’t sing its praises enough. I was uneasy about using a traditional pump with tubing, but when I first saw the pod in magazine ads, I thought it was going to be big and bulky. But in reality, it’s not that big and it’s hardly noticable. People who “look for my pod on me” can’t find it :) I love the fact that there’s no tubing. It’s really an amazing technology.

By the way, I have heard that it’s only available in certain parts of the country. Since the product is so new to the market, I think the company is trying to roll it out slowly so that they do not over-commit and under-support. (I went to an info session at their headquarters in October.) So I think it’s only available on the east coast, and only some insurance companies will cover it. (They are continually working on getting more insurance companies on board.) I had to switch health insurance plans so that I could get it :(

I would be happy to talk to people about it who have questions or are considering it.

15. Dorothea
    Dorothea June 15, 2007 at 5:34 pm | | Reply

I am very happy about coming across the site and comments about the OmniPod. Thank you! It seemes to me that it’s very hard to meet “actual” users of the system. I was diagnosed with Type1 at the age of 15, which is now 11 years ago. Always being on multiple injections, I started using the OmniPod in March 2007 and am happy with it. But I also would like to hear more about how other people experience it. Any more of you out there? I’d love to get in touch with you!
    DorotheaSchulz@gmx.de

16. Carmen
    Carmen October 21, 2007 at 9:23 am | | Reply

I find this site extremely helpful. My daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 10. We are looking at getting a pump and I stumbled upon the omnipod. I realize it’s not available in Canada yet. Is there a way I can get a prescription here and have it filled in the U.S.? I have no insurance so I would be paying for it. Does anyone know if this is something that can be done? Or is there another way around this? I would fly to where ever it’s available to pick this up.
    Thanks for any information you can offer.
    Carmen

17. Sarah Hodson
    Sarah Hodson January 27, 2008 at 9:58 pm | | Reply

First, for me, the tubing was a big deal. I often pulled the minimed set out in the night of tossing and turning and woke up at 600. I teach swim lessons and lifeguard on the side and its nice to not worry about having a tangle during a rescue. Also, I have found that the skin of my abdomen twists too much during activity and so have been experimenting with leg and arm locations. So far, front of inner thigh makes my jeans look funny, but works well. Front of outer thigh worked well too. I always point the pod down so less movement if I forget and pull my panties against it. My trainer suggested the top of my butt, but I had an occlusion right away. I think everybody is built different, because I cannot imagine putting it on my shoulder, into a delt. On my arm I was able to put it into that gap on the inside between the bicep and tricep. Since I wear it on arms and legs people see it all the time, if they ask I tell. Yes I was a little annoyed about the troubleshooting in the beginning, but had little problem with getting enough pods. My sugars have been awesome, and I cannot wait to have the next A1C. I do however think that an omnipod system would be wasted on a three year old. I have had diabetes for 19 years and it took some of those years for the experience to use the Omnipod to the utmost effectiveness. There are a lot of things individual to each person with diabetes. For instance, I wear a heart rate monitor, to help me with diabetes and exercise. WOuld anybody have guessed how much it helps? Omnipod’s cannulas are way smaller than earlier pumps, less scarring than 10 injections a day for sure. The major advantage over Lantus, which I took for years is that I can dial down for activity 2 hours before instead of 48 hours before. Pumps are not for the lazy, for sure. Please, ask me anything.

18. Rhonda Hurley
    Rhonda Hurley February 12, 2008 at 10:57 am | | Reply

We are looking into the Ominpod for my almost 8 year old son. His endo says she heard that it will sometimes bank insulin and release it all at one time. Anyone had this problem?

19. Rhonda Hurley
    Rhonda Hurley February 12, 2008 at 11:01 am | | Reply

Sarah
    Do you spend a lot of time in the water? Does the pod stay put?
    R

20. Peter
    Peter February 28, 2008 at 10:16 am | | Reply

Hello all, I have been a type 1 diabetic for 10 years now and have nlbeen using a minimed pump for 3 years. I recently inquired about the omnipod and was put in touch with one of their reps in my area (d.c.). He has been very informative, and sent me a demo pod so that I could see it for myself and see how it feels. I have to say that I am impressed by the relative size, which is totally managable. Also, I’m wearing the demo right now and it is barely noticable. Its on the back of my arm, which is a place that I would never have pit my infusion set. I am looking foward to switching. I like the pimp, but I think that I will love the pod.