Mary Tyler Moore on Larry King Live

Caught the show last night, which I’m assuming was a rerun. As usual, Mary was a spokeswoman extraordinaire for diabetes and the work of the JDRF. But one thing floored me: when Larry asked her if diabetes had ever interfered with her work, she said, “Not really. Once I felt a little shaky in front of the camera, so I had to excuse myself to drink a glass of orange juice. Then in about 5 minutes, I was OK again.” ONCE? ONCE!!

Mary_tyler_mooreThis America’s Sweetheart has had diabetes for over 30 years, much of that time before fast-acting and Lantus insulins came on the scene to revolutionize BG control. Can it really be that she’s avoided the violent lows we are all so familiar with? Or was she just trying to downplay the effects of diabetes on our ability to perform in the workplace? I’m just not sure what to think here…

Anyway, Mary, thanks for your excellent advocacy work!

1. Nick
    Nick July 2, 2005 at 4:07 pm | | Reply

She had diabetes many years before the Diabetes Care and Complications Trial was completed. So she never had incentive for tightly controlling her blood sugar. I’m guessing that’s why she only suffered hypoglycemia once. Either that or she’s a liar. Could that be it? Well, your guess is as good as mine.

2. George
    George July 4, 2005 at 11:52 pm | | Reply

Did you also notice that on the Larry King show, Mary Tyler Moore never once mentioned the word “carbohydrate?”

All this talk of taking care of yourself and living with diabetes, and not one word about the most important thing relating to the disease — keeping blood glucose numbers in line by counting carbs.

What do you make of that, Amy?

3. Kirk
    Kirk July 5, 2005 at 10:39 am | | Reply

I tip my hat to Mary Tyler Moore even though some of you take exception to her views. She has survived healthy for over 30 years with diabetes. Believe me that is an accomplishment. How do you know what her treatment priorities were? In 1958 I was on a high carb diet, 47 years later I am healthy with no complications.
    I am glad she is talking out and getting air time it will benefit all of us!!

4. AmyT
    AmyT July 7, 2005 at 5:08 pm | | Reply

Oooh, the carb thing is a good catch, George. I’m assuming the “key messages” she’s trying to communicate are about basic awareness of diabetes, i.e. her staff was worried that mentioning carbs would only muddle the issue and make some people think she’s talking Atkins.

And right, Kirk: her visibility does help us all!

5. R.J.
    R.J. July 13, 2005 at 11:12 am | | Reply

I’ve been a big Mary Tyler Moore fan since the MTM how way back when (remember the MTM kitty with the “meow” at the end of the show?). I missed the interview with Larry King, so I’m glad you mentioned it in your blog. I keep forgetting that she’s diabetic. It *is* hard to believe that she had only one problem with work in all that time.
    That’s great – what a good role model for us all.

6. nicole
    nicole January 11, 2007 at 3:46 pm | | Reply

u need some info on herhaving diabetes cuz i am oing a report and i need info

7. helen kalish
    helen kalish August 7, 2007 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

I was quite disappointed a while back when I saw MTM on the Larry King show. I thought she gave some mis-information to diabetics. She said alchohol was verboten, which is not the case. She also winced when asked whether she could use a pump that would be inserted in the stomach, which did not help diabetics who might be interested. I have used a pump for years with no problems.

1. debbie lala
      debbie lala January 30, 2012 at 6:48 pm | | Reply

Helen, I think Miss Moore likes some privacy about how her physicial condition is, maybe you shouldn’t have let out private info on her physical problems. Wasn’t your place to “out” her eyesight and mobility problems. She should be the FIRST to state such things before others do. I’ve noticed the media hasn’t gone that far when describing her mobility issues in detail. IMHO.

1. debbie lala
        debbie lala January 30, 2012 at 6:49 pm | | Reply

CORRECTION: I mean to address to Kristen, Not helen. Sorry.

8. kristin
    kristin October 18, 2007 at 5:58 pm | | Reply

I just met Mary at a conference I was working for JDRF. She’s in REALLY bad shape now. She looks horrible, she’s almost completely blind, and she can’t feel the ground when she walks so her husband holds on to her wherever she goes. It was such a shock to me. She always looked great in the pictures I saw of her. It literally brought tears to my eyes to see her in the condition she’s in

9. Debra
    Debra August 8, 2009 at 7:05 pm | | Reply

Hey, lets not forget all the good she has done for diabetes/JDRF!
    Read her book and you will see what type of trials/problems she has gone through. Do you know how many other actors were diabetic and did not or have not done what she has done for diabetes?!I tip my hat to her for all that she has done and is still doing! Way to go Mary!