The Case of the Pump Case

The Deltec people (henceforth to be known under the name of their parent company, Smiths Medical), who make the highly appealing CozMore pump/monitoring system, hosted a series of intimate dinners at the ADA Conference last weekend to present a “state of the technology” address to their valued contacts. I was lucky enough to attend one. (What? I’m a prime prospect for them!)

The conversation quickly turned to the less-than-stellar Cozmo pump case. “Yeah, we really f—ed up on that one,” laughed R.K., VP of the company’s Diabetes Division. I loved this exec’s candor! He even told funny stories about educators having to advise their patients to “just cut out the plastic window” so they could see the display. And one guy who called to say, “It’s a great case — for the week I have it! Why don’t you just send me a month’s supply so I can be prepared?” Yeah, they know, they know…

But they seemed surprised that when negotiating with German distributors recently, the EuroTagalongpean reps wrinkled their noses and declared: “what people care about here is stylish, personalized cases” (which, btw, would require at least 10 more words in German).

Wait a minute! Stylish and personalized? Isn’t that the way of the new cell phone market? With clip-on colorfully designed facades and and hundreds of ring tones to choose from?

Well now, the pump’s an even more personal accessory, as it goes with you to places the cell phone wouldn’t dare tread. And the common desire to hide the pump makes for even more interesting case design challenges.

For me, one of the biggest issues in considering the pump at all is where to stickGarterlg it? As Violet of Pumplandia notes, this ain’t easy. Like her, I’m not “properly built” to hide a box like that in the bra. Violet’s considering a garter option.

The conference also gave me my first taste of this world, as I discovered the collection of funky pump cases from Heartland Creative Designs. There’s the “Tag-A-Long,” offering an easy outside clip to your clothes, available in 21 colors. And the “Slider” for your belt loop, along with the “Hide Away” that slips compfortably into many an intimate spot, they say. And they also make a garter — a “delicate and feminine light-weight pump case” made of satin and lace. I can’t wait to hear how Violet likes it.

1. Living With Diabetes
    Living With Diabetes June 17, 2005 at 8:39 pm | | Reply

Why the Animas?

Amy has also asked me why I picked the Animas. Now, remember when I got my first pump, it was an IR1000. First reason: It is truly waterproof and the PDA interface. I actually used eZManager for over 6 weeks…

2. Living With Diabetes
    Living With Diabetes June 17, 2005 at 8:40 pm | | Reply

Ladies Only — Hiding Pumps

Amy over at Diabetes Mine asked about hiding a pump. No one notices mine. In fact, people who know I wear one, often ask me if I have it on. First it takes a small pump, this won’t work with…

3. DensityDuck
    DensityDuck June 20, 2005 at 9:31 am | | Reply

Re: Cozmo. They had me until “blood sample”. Until they start talking “continuous” and “non-blood sample”, I don’t really care how extensively a company tarts up their BG monitor. “But this one’s so cool, it snaps onto the back and wirelessly transmits and it’s color-matched to the pump and it’s available with menthol flavor!” Needs a finger stick? Yes? Well, I’ve got a One Touch Profile and a functional brain; what will your product offer me that I don’t already have?

Re: where to put the pump. I hang it on my belt, The End. I don’t consider it a fashion accessory, so I’m actually more interested in a holder that’s as understated as possible.

4. Rhonda Gatenby
    Rhonda Gatenby June 29, 2005 at 6:52 am | | Reply

Hi Amy,

I recently stumbled onto your website and I found it quite ineresting and fun to read. I have a five year old who has had type 1 diabetes for 2-1/2 years, and has been on the Deltec Cozmo Pump for 1-1/2 years. When she first started using the insulin pump there were no fun, yet fashionable and secure pump cases for children to carry insulin pumps in, so I designed a PumpPack myself. I have recently begun selling my PumpPacks on the internet, http://www.PumpPack.com, and the feedback has been that they are the best design people have come across yet. Children my daughter’s age think the PumpPack is “awesome”, and they want one to keep their legos or crayons in. My daughter just thinks they make her look pretty, and she has an assortment of PumpPacks to match whatever clothes she’s wearing. Please keep inspiring us. I will be visiting your site again!

Sincerely,
    Rhonda Gatenby

5. Jim
    Jim February 14, 2006 at 2:00 pm | | Reply

Insulin pump technology has hardly moved forward at all in the last 5 to 7 years. They might get a little smaller, you might get to change your alert alarm tune or have a personalized cover but those are pathetic improvements.The new fad of allowing your meter to send a reading to your pump is also lame, your most basic PDA or cell phone has used the same technology for years. The only model I have seen which demonstrates innovative thinking is the omnipod which at least does away with tubes. Making pumps easier to use for kids is a good thing, but those improvements aren’t going to move the state of the art forward and it worries me that companies point to these developments as real progress. We should be much closer to a closed loop system. Minimed makes a “continuous” glucose monitor, but instead of doing something sensible like having it send the signal to a glucose pump, you have to have another external reader device the size of a cell phone. Similarly with the infra red Cozmo combined device; now to take you blood sugar you have to take the whole pump off the belt with the tubes poking out under your shirt. Would it really have been that much more difficult to modify an existing glucose monitor and have it send the signal to the pump? What’s the point of using infra red if the two devices have to be stuck together? One can understand delays occuring due to the FDA process, but so few companies are anywhere near the FDA stage with a continuous monitoring system and even further away with a closed feedback system that I can’t help but wonder what people have actually been doing at the established pump companies.

Jim

6. Jenn
    Jenn March 1, 2006 at 8:53 am | | Reply

I was wondering if anyone knows of any plastic and durable pump cases for the deltic cozmore pump. I switched from a disetronic h-tron plus which had a plastic case that had a swivel clip that went around 360 degrees. I loved that case. I am finding that i dont like the case that came with the cozmore pump, it doesnt stay on my pants very well. It always falls off of my pocket. If anyone knows of one please let me know ASAP!

Thanks

Jenn Monroe
    jenn-monroe@iwon.com

7. Susan Koch
    Susan Koch October 16, 2006 at 5:13 pm | | Reply

Thank you for your site. I found it following “The Case of the Pump Case” article. Style and safety have definitely become more important to patients wearing a pump. I personally couldn’t find a case, I felt comfortable with,for my son to wear when he started the pump at 3 years old. I design my own case for him. Next thing you know the Doctors and the nurses at the hopital were encouraging me to make the cases available to more children and adults. So… eventually I did. We now have a website at http://www.ekaccess.com. The difference between E K Access Insulin Pump Cases and most others is that our design not only focuses on Style, but Safety as well. The case was redesigned until I felt that my 3 year old could be a 3 year old without having to worry about the pump falling off, falling out of the case or even my son removing it from the case himself. We’ve had some wonderful feedback so far. We’re about Quality, Fashion AND Safety. We believe in encouraging kids of all ages to have a positive self image and be the best that they can be. It’s good to know that the industry is recognizing that the pump is not something that has to be hidden. The pump can be an accessory just as a cell phone is. It’s just an accessory for a Diabetic and it can be cool!

Susan Koch
    ekaccess.com

8. Tom Tucker
    Tom Tucker January 16, 2007 at 7:56 am | | Reply

I must be in the minority. I like the case that came with my Deltic Cozmo Pump. I had it for more than a year before I had problems with it. The clip broke off of it, my fault. When I tried to order a new one, the replacement did not have the plastic in the window openings, which I like because it protects the unit. It also did not have the front cover on it, again a feature I like because it protected the unit and my privacy. And finially, the clip on the new replacement was broken before I took it out of its wrapping. The plastic in the clip was so thin, that when the hinge pin was pushed into the clip arm the hinge portion was broken and the clip was useless. I am still trying to get it replaced. I just want a case like the one the unit came with. If any one has any suggestions where I can find one please let me know.

Thanks,
    Tom

9. Julie
    Julie April 22, 2007 at 4:37 pm | | Reply

Thought everyone would like to know about a free diabetes weekend that we are offering to 15-20 families. Take a look at our caring and sharing weekend link on http://www.pumpwearinc.com. It is a wonderful weekend at the Double H ranch a Paul Newman hole in the wall camp. This will be a great weekend for the chosen families, only cost to them is for them to get there.

We are so thrilled to offer this weekend, with the cost of diabetes being so high and diabetes is truly a family affair we are so happy to be able to offer this very special weekend.

please share with your readers.