Monster Campaign & the ADA’s Big Conference

To promote the new diabetes drug Byetta (aka Exenatide injection), Eli Lilly & Co. and partner Amylin Pharmaceuticals are featuring this guy, the Gila monster, during TV interviews today with Gilamonster_1the drug’s discoverer and a diabetes doctor. The drug is of course the one derived from the saliva of this venomous lizard.

Byetta seems to have exciting possiblities to increase insulin secretion in Type 2 diabetics, but once again, you will find most press coverage in the Finance Section of the newspaper: Business Week says Eli Lilly’s “flowering of new diabetes drugs” will put it ahead of the competition.

Furthermore, the company is expected to “raise its profile in the diabetes arena” this coming weekend at the American Diabetes Association’s annual scientific sessions in San Diego, CA. That’s the big annual conference, expected to attract more than 13,500 researchers and doctors this year!

And guess who will be there? Yup, this little ‘ol diabetes blogger personally. The whole thing happened so fast, I’ve hardly got time to pack my test strips. But I’m off to San Diego tomorrow to see what I shall see.

Lilly certainly won’t be the only company in the spotlight: its partner Amylin will be making at least 12 presentations on its new drugs for improving BG control. More on all that this weekend…

1. DensityDuck
    DensityDuck June 9, 2005 at 5:52 am | | Reply

Venomous lizard! Venomous lizard!!

No, I don’t have a reason for this, I just like saying it for some reason. VENOMOUS LIZARD!

2. linda
    linda June 9, 2005 at 12:02 pm | | Reply

A REAL patient starting Byetta !

3. joed
    joed June 10, 2005 at 6:56 am | | Reply

Who’s paying for you to go to the meeting?

4. AmyT
    AmyT June 10, 2005 at 10:54 am | | Reply

Ah, that’s a very good question, Joed. I am paying. 100% me. I will, however, be there on a Press Pass, covering the conference for two online publications: DiabetesMonitor and TheDiabetesBlog. But I volunteered to do so, and neither are paying me. It was my decision to go and “check out the scene.”

5. Paul
    Paul June 19, 2005 at 2:54 pm | | Reply

I ran into a post of yours on an Alheizmers site.You posted that Symlin has serious drawbacks.As a diabetic who knows the firsthand knowledge of how Symlin works,how it has smoothed out my glucose,how it has simply made me feel truly great ! for the first time in years How it has helped me lose over 20 lbs!How it has reduced my Insulin use,I am floored by such Ignorance of the first drug in 75 years to help us Insulin using T1 diabetics.
    symlin.com has information for those of you posting disinformation.
    Oh gee ,let me guess- additional shots vs an amputated leg…..ridiculous site

6. AmyT
    AmyT June 19, 2005 at 3:35 pm | | Reply

Paul:
    I never posted anything to an Alzheimer’s site, so someone else must have chosen to post something there (which may or may not quote me accurately).

I never said Symlin has “serious drawbacks” — only that some doctors had doubts about it, which is true, and that I personally initially had trouble understanding its value. I have since learned that many patients like yourself find it helpful.
    That’s great news!

(oh, and kindly post an active email address next time…)

7. linda
    linda June 19, 2005 at 7:29 pm | | Reply

a friend writes:

I am a type one of 11 years, and have always had good control. Well, at least I’ve had a good a1c’s- but there has always been fluctuation in my bgs, as is the case for all type 1′s (except for those who eat virtually no carbs at all).

Anyway- I just started on symlin 3 days ago. The first day I was skeptical, because at the lower dosage I didn’t really notice any effect-and cutting my insulin in half made my bgs go up. I am now taking the full dosage (60 mcg, or 10 units on an insulin needle). I decided it would be easier to just take the full amount and adjust my insulin accordingly, rather than increase slowly and adjust my insulin three times as the instructions say to do. Also, though I felt slight nausea after the frist dose, since then I have not had any. The higher dosage has not caused the nausea to return, and I am now seeing the effcts of symlin.

I have to say- while it is still very early – this stuff seems to be working! My blood sugars were actually perfect yesterday! And I woke up with a 79! While this is not impossible for me to do just on insulin, it takes a lot of finagling, bolusing, etc. The symlin seems to even out the post prandials, which means that I don’t have to get on the bolusing rollercoaster.

I’d say I am taking about 2/3 my normal amt of humalog. Last night I took a tiny bit less Lantus. (15 instead of 16). It is hard for me to tell if this is the placebo effect, but I find myself considerably less hungry than usual- it is strange. In the middle of a meal I’ll sort of forget about eating. This happened the other night when I was eating sushi. I just sort of stopped in the middle. It is not nausea. Sort of a “full” feeling- I just didn’t want anymore. I’d like to lose a little weight, so this is nice. Of course, it could be the fact that I read that this was supposed to happen….I am a firm believer in the placebo effect….I’ll have to see over time.

I am not sure if this is in my head either- but I also feel a little better in a general sense. Just sort of healthier. Maybe the symlin is providing some other effects that my body was missing.

Anyway- so far so good. Still very early…but I am happy so far.
    -Dia

8. linda
    linda July 12, 2005 at 1:52 pm | | Reply

Coupon on starting Byetta

9. Annalisa
    Annalisa April 22, 2008 at 7:41 pm | | Reply

I started Byetta 2 weeks ago when I was diagnosed with Diabetes 2. So far so good. Gila Monster saliva – that really surprised me! Cool site – thanks for creating it.