Jim Turner, Party Animal

*Still live from the ADA Conference in San Diego*

To pick up where I left off, the dLife cocktail party last night was a blast. They premiered the new season of shows, which looks to be getting better all the time. The new idea is to do a “group intro,” and then split up the hosts, so that each has a chance to shine with his or her guest. A welcome improvement, I’m sure you’d agree!

But here’s the big news: Jim Turner is a REALLY fun guy. He’s so much more interesting than youTurner_sm might think just from watching the first round of gabby dLife episodes. I bet you didn’t know that he played “Randee of the Redwoods” on MTV years ago — and that he stars as the boss “Larry” in the new Bewitched movie, which premieres today.

I hope I won’t spoil his career if I disclose that I tagged along with the dLife crew after the party, we had a few drinks, and he entertained me enormously with stories of his diabetic mishaps. I sure hope he gets the chance to be center stage on the show some time soon to share some of the wild & crazy D-stuff he’s done in his life.

Jim’s had Type 1 since he was in high school and has always worked hard to manage it. But it sure didn’t stop him from hitch-hiking across the country, camping out in the wilderness, or doing any of the other nutty stuff we do when we’re young and energetic — even back then, when the only insulin regime available was a rather imprecise 2 shots/day.

Not only that, but he was sweet enough to call me in the morning to make sure I was OK after several glasses of wine and no real dinner. (I didn’t have a low, but did conk out, only to start out of bed at 2am: Yikes! I forgot my Lantus!) What sweet irony that the ADA Conference was my official excuse to go off the wagon! OK, I’m having fun. So shoot me…

But perhaps you’ve all had enough gossip column fare (?) Next post is back to the actual Diabetes News. Promise. Meanwhile, if you want it from an expert insider, Tim has tipped me off that Richard Kahn, chief scientific and medical officer of the ADA, is also blogging live from the conference. (Yes, that’s the guy who said “sugar has nothing to do with diabetes,” but let’s try to overlook that for now :)

1. chester
    chester June 12, 2005 at 8:41 pm | | Reply

wow i am really impressed how you have embraced your diabetes. being diagnosed with insulin dependent at the age of 32… now 45 , i can relate to the need to embrace it … i am really into health and fitness — and developing a healthful lifestyle. you know that diabetics who are in control and lead a compliant life style — are among the healthiest people. take good care of yourself

2. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor June 12, 2005 at 10:19 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy. I can’t wait to see YOU on dLife. What’s more I just know it will happen someday. I’m glad you had such a good time. You are an inspiration to us all. Xx M

3. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor June 12, 2005 at 10:19 pm | | Reply

4. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor June 12, 2005 at 10:19 pm | | Reply

5. Curt
    Curt June 20, 2005 at 6:22 am | | Reply

Please explain why he was wrong (you obviously think so or you wouldn’t be making fun of him) when he said, “sugar has nothing to do with diabetes.”

It’s easy for you to take cheap shots when you don’t have to answer to anyone.

6. AmyT
    AmyT June 20, 2005 at 8:13 am | | Reply

Curt,
    No cheap shots here: myself and a number of others believe that Kahn embarrassed himself trying to backpaddle on the Cadbury issue. See these links:

And I do answer to a whole lot of people, Curt: you and the rest of my readers! I could easily delete the unpleasant comments here, but I choose to face them instead.

(Also, please post a valid email next time if you wish to participate here. Thanks!)