Two-Year Anniversary

Today marks two years ago that a pasty woman doctor with scraggly hair made a mock motion of anointing me with holy water in my hospital bed as she declared, “you are now a Diabetic.” She was trying to make light of the situation, of course, but I was horrified.

After a night of being re-hydrated via IV, and woken every 20 minutes for a vital-signs check, plus every 2 hours for insulin shots, I’d had exactly NO sleep and a severe case of “moon face” -– which scared the hell out of me, because my father had exactly the same moon face when I visited him in the hospital a few months before he died. They worked so hard at bringing my BG levels down that I had an ugly low at 6:30am, in which I was nearly incapable of pushing the “nurse” button. It was an ugly week all around.

I have been through a fast-forward version of the stages: denial, isolation,
anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. I remember spending one whole day on the couch crying, and then in the
evening, picking myself up and setting myself in front of the computer to start
figuring this thing out. Obviously, I
haven’t stopped since.

And today, I am stronger, faster, better. Today I can laugh about most of the little
things that make life as a diabetic so much more complex. (Is that rice ball as
big as my fist? Or bigger? Are those
extra pen needles in the van or the SUV? Will I have a low during mommy-and-me swimming class yet again?!)

And LOOK where I am spending today. At a diabetes symposium! And I’m actually excited
about it. Afterwards I’m hosting a Teddy
Bear party and sleepover for 10 little girls! A little crazy, yes, but what
better way to celebrate my good health (no complications yet) and the LIFE that
I now appreciate as a gift worthy of celebration every single day?

1. Pearlsa
    Pearlsa May 21, 2005 at 8:43 am | | Reply

Sounds like a full day, have fun and tell us all about the Diabetes Symposium and the teddy bear party and sleepover.

2. Shannon Lewis
    Shannon Lewis May 21, 2005 at 10:40 am | | Reply

Amy,

I’m happy you’re embracing the life you have and making the best of it. You’re truely an inspiration.

3. Nick
    Nick May 21, 2005 at 3:17 pm | | Reply

What is a diabetes symposium? How is it useful to someone with diabetes?

Amy, I’ve had type 1 diabetes 13 years and have no complications so far. With Dr. Bernstein’s diet & exercise program, I’ll keep my capillaries from clogging up with excess glucose, divine Providence willing.

Best wishes,
    Nick

4. Kerri
    Kerri May 22, 2005 at 8:29 pm | | Reply

Amy,

Happy Anniversary!

I know it’s a strange one to “celebrate,” but every day that passes brings you closer to “living with” instead of “suffering from.”

Congratulations on your success. And the successes to come.

Kerri.

5. Violet
    Violet May 23, 2005 at 4:37 am | | Reply

Amy, fantastic, and fantastic that you’re celebrating your milestones with your characteristic zest for life. I just hit 6 months, and when I try to peek ahead toward the anniversaries to come I hope I’ll be able to greet them with an attitude like yours.

6. Tekakwitha
    Tekakwitha May 23, 2005 at 7:15 am | | Reply

Amy

Sounds like you’re doing great! Happy Anniversary!

-Tekakwitha

7. charles
    charles May 23, 2005 at 3:18 pm | | Reply

it seems you’ve come a long way since that day… i can picture being on the other side of the all-nighter getting the blood sugar/ketoacidosis under control… it’s exhausting for a sleepy resident, too. glad you pulled through!

8. dLife Today
    dLife Today May 24, 2005 at 9:30 am | | Reply

War Stories

Do you remember the day you learned you had diabetes? Did your doctor deliver the news compassionately and face-to-face, or did you get a curt phone call from an overworked lab technician? Were you handed a prescription and told to…