Too Pretty to Save My Life?

Diabetes Anniversary Present to self: a beee-uuutiful new medical alert bracelet from The Beadin’ Beagle that will “alert the medics without alerting the fashion police.” But will it?!

beagle bracelet med ID
Take a look. (Nice, ay?)

But could it be too pretty? Should I pass out in an accident, would any paramedic (or anybody else) think to examine those charming multi-colored beads on my arm for evidence that I may suffer from a life-threatening disease? Considering that the ordinary, hospital-issue medic alert bracelets are often overlooked, I worry…

Knowledgeable comments welcome on this one, for sure!

1. Shannon Lewis
    Shannon Lewis May 25, 2005 at 2:59 pm | | Reply

I’m pretty sure that paramedics are trained to look at each and every piece of jewelry a person is wearing if they’re passed out. I’m sure they’ve seen all sorts of different medic alert pieces.

2. AmyT
    AmyT May 25, 2005 at 3:19 pm | | Reply

Oh Shannon,
    I wish that were true! Please see Martha’s post at http://marthaoconnor.blogspot.com/2005/02/make-tape-of-tom-gruvers-taser-attack.html
    on a poor diabetic guy having a LOW, who got “taser’d” because police thought he was drugged, even though he was wearing an obvious medic alert necklace. And he is not the only one!

(Please, please, don’t taser me!!)

3. pat
    pat May 25, 2005 at 4:16 pm | | Reply

Do any of you with children who are diabetic have them wear bracelets? I’m thinking of getting one for my son for allergies, but am not sure how my 6 year old(extremely active!!) will do with it. I’m most concerned about him getting
    it caught in playground equipment as he is playing. Any advice from those with young ones would be appreciated.

1. Emily
      Emily March 27, 2012 at 2:29 pm | | Reply

My son is 5 and he wears a necklace for his heart problem. The only problem we have ever had with it is other kids wanting to play with it

4. Nick
    Nick May 25, 2005 at 4:40 pm | | Reply

I have a necklace, not a bracelet. I’m afraid a bracelet would too easily snag on something. My necklace is made of silver, not steel. Silver is not as strong as steel. That’s a good thing if you get it caught in machinery.

5. Sandra Miller
    Sandra Miller May 25, 2005 at 5:17 pm | | Reply

My 9-year old son wears an “authentic” military dog tag around his neck for his medical ID. I’m not sure how this would work for a 6-yr old. But my son (who was 8 at diagnosis)thought it was “awesome” when I got it for him. If you’re interested in checking them out, you can find them at this website:

And Amy, I’m not knowledgeable enough to really answer your question. However, I do believe you have a valid concern. Though I must say, the bracelet is quite lovely.

6. Living With Diabetes
    Living With Diabetes May 25, 2005 at 5:21 pm | | Reply

Beadin’ Beagle ID Bracelets

Now you know why I had her make mine with white beads, and use both the flat tag AND a dangle. And do what I did — ask a couple of paramedics if they would notice it. Of course, it…

7. William
    William May 25, 2005 at 9:00 pm | | Reply

You worry too much. Those beaded jobs are more common than you think. Wear it, love it, the medics will see it. The cops, of course, will still tazer you anyway–regardless of what you wear!

8. Marcus
    Marcus May 26, 2005 at 5:15 am | | Reply

Looks good. I got mine from Lauren’s Hope (http://laurenshope.com), but I like the leather necklace on the Beadin’ Beagle. Might have to pick one up.

I agree with William. Don’t worry and enjoy it. I HATED my medic ID tag. Consequently, I took it off a lot. I never take off my “stylish” one.

9. Shannon Lewis
    Shannon Lewis May 26, 2005 at 6:03 am | | Reply

Amy,

You said that was the police. Paramedics would be the ones who are trained. Police wouldn’t be.

10. Shannon Lewis
    Shannon Lewis May 26, 2005 at 6:07 am | | Reply

I’ll have to check out the dog tag ID’s. We had gotten the fabric coated bracelet that had info printed on a strip of paper that you tuck under the medic alert emblem. It seemed like a good idea until we tried tucking the strip back in after filling out the info…and couldn’t get it back in.

11. AmyT
    AmyT May 26, 2005 at 9:11 am | | Reply

Hey Pat,
    Have you looked at the sporty velcro ID bands for kids? One company that sells them is:

Might be a good option for your boy.

- Amy

12. Violet
    Violet May 26, 2005 at 9:29 am | | Reply

I have a pretty one too. It’s the Minnie from HAH Originals: http://www.hahoriginals.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/66_68/products_id/235

I agree with the gist of the comments above…paramedics would probably look. In a police situation like the one in the story on Martha’s blog, I don’t think it matters WHAT you’re wearing.

My feeling on the ID choice was that I absolutely had to feel good about it. I do, and I’ve worn it every day since I got it. So I agree, enjoy!

13. AmyT
    AmyT May 26, 2005 at 9:51 am | | Reply

Thanks, Marcus. Those Lauren’s Hope bracelets are fun!!

And oooh, Violet, those HAH Originals are gorgeous! I may have to add a few more to my wardrobe.

(And a great gift idea for family members reading this. Are you listening, guys? :)

14. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor May 26, 2005 at 1:14 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy,
    Your bracelet is beautiful. I now of quite a few little girls who have the bracelets from Lauren’s Hope.

Our son wears the “sporty” MedicAlert wristband that is bright orange. I just let him pick out whatever he wanted, with the understanding that whatever it was, it never came off.

I would say the important thing is to have SOMETHING that you wear continually. I do think the classic MedicAlert bracelets are more apt to be noticed. Also to consider, MedicAlert allows you to enter all your medical information into the site and any caller can find out your insulin regimen, etc. One other thing to consider is carrying a laminated card in your wallet near your driver’s license saying I Have Diabetes and explaining the symptoms of severe hypoglycemia. We got some free from Eli Lilly.

15. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor May 26, 2005 at 1:14 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy,

16. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor May 26, 2005 at 1:14 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy,

17. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor May 26, 2005 at 1:17 pm | | Reply

Duh, TYPOS~ I KNOW quite a few girls who… blah blah.

I think the Tom Gruver attack situation was really due to poorly trained police officers. I could go on and on about how this type of training really, truly needs to be emphasized in Police Academy. I honestly believe that. The consequences are too high.

18. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor May 26, 2005 at 1:17 pm | | Reply

Duh, TYPOS~ I KNOW quite a few girls who… blah blah.

19. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor May 26, 2005 at 1:17 pm | | Reply

Duh, TYPOS~ I KNOW quite a few girls who… blah blah.

20. Kristin
    Kristin May 29, 2005 at 7:12 am | | Reply

I recently got a great new diabetic bracelet. i got it from Avon and it has 2 different braceltet attachments. one is silver with red hearts and the other has blue flat beads. it was only $9.99. i don’t work for avon but i have worn a medic alert for years and it was ugly and not fashionable. this one i can change to make it match different outfits so i am happy with it. i have had diabetes for 27 years with no complications!!!! also on the pump. LOVE IT!!! had a child with a HGA1C level of 5.2%. am now at 6.2%. anyone can email me with questions. thanks.

21. Navy
    Navy March 24, 2006 at 7:13 am | | Reply

For children- medic alert has metal emblems that you can put on shoes:

They are about 7$ [after membership, which is initially35$ for a year and includes one free emblem... worth it]

So you could by a couple for shoes, if you have a problem with them taking bracelets off or them getting caught on things.

22. Thomas
    Thomas February 15, 2007 at 7:47 am | | Reply

Afraid the First Responders may overlook your Medical Alert jewelry or just don’t like wearing it? Then here is a suggestion, now you can get yourself a Medical Alert Wallet.
    All First Responders must fill out paper work and when they go to look at your ID they will see the Medical Alert symbol on the outside of the wallet, telling them you have special needs and/or conditions. Next, when they open the wallet for your ID they will also see the Medical Information Card, you have filled out. This can help them diagnose you and possibly treat you on the spot. You can help them help you with a Medical Alet Wallet on you.
    Check out all the styles and colors at http://www.MedicalAlertWallets.com
    Enjoy,
    Thomas

23. nehemia bapela
    nehemia bapela October 17, 2007 at 1:15 am | | Reply

i am diabetes and i have been diabetes for 12years

24. emmy
    emmy February 15, 2008 at 11:32 am | | Reply

I had a pretty medic alert bracelet for a potentially fatal heart problem. My son who is a paramedic said to get the necklace because they aren’t going to look at the bracelet. A necklace would be in the way when they were trying to attach electrodes. He also said they aren’t going to check the wallet of an adult so put a contact number on the necklace. I fainted while driving and wrecked my car. He was right, even with the necklace they didn’t look at it and didn’t call the contact number. You can only do what you can do to get their attention, but I don’t think that I’d want to make it any harder for them.

25. Amanda
    Amanda March 9, 2008 at 1:36 pm | | Reply

You might want to check out http://www.cutemedicalbracelets.com They have a lot to choose from for boys and girls, and the interchangeable bands are really affordable, so you can build a wardrobe of bracelets for your child. You can get a bracelet engraved, and add two to four extra bracelets for what some other websites charge.

26. Stuart
    Stuart March 20, 2008 at 12:51 am | | Reply

Love to buy my stylish bracelets from Diamond Harmony store at most discounted prices……!

27. Tina Sprigg
    Tina Sprigg July 24, 2008 at 8:53 am | | Reply

Hi Amy! Are you still enjoying your bracelet? I appreciate the mention on your website. I know many people are skeptical of attractive medical identification but I hope that by making it more attractive, it encourages more people (especially children) to wear medical jewelry. I personally do not have diabetes but I have suffered from Crohn’s Disease for almost 17 years. I know the importance of having medical information close at hand.

Again, I hope you still wearing your bracelet from The Beadin’ Beagle.

Warmest Regards,