Patient Blogs in the Wall Street Journal — Who, Me??

OK, so a few hours after I posted my spiel about medical blogs last week, I got an email from a woman claiming to be a journalist writing a piece about PATIENT BLOGS for the WALL ST. JOURNAL. And guess what? She WAS a genuine journalist writing a piece about PATIENT BLOGS for the WALL ST. JOURNAL!!! As many of you know, I was featured in the story on Wednesday, May 4.

Wsj_pic_2Warning, Rare Occurrence: I am, for a period, speechless…

The best thing about all this is that the woman who contacted me was Laura Landro, a WSJ senior editor who is well-known for publicly sharing her own personal battle against cancer. She now writes a series called “The Informed Patient,” which appears every other Wednesday in the WSJ’s “Personal Journal” section. It is clear that she is a passionate advocate for “voice of the patient,” i.e. issues like the importance of doing your own research, getting a second opinion, and defending patients’ rights of access to specialty clinics, hospital reports, etc.

I truly admire Laura.

Likewise, it is more than heartening to see that a publication as prestigious as the Wall Street Journal values the topic of patient communication –- and at the same time recognizes that “blogs help form a community of concern and support” and “will become one of the tools that help families cope with serious illness.”

Click HERE* to read the article, titled “Blogging From Your Sickbed” … not my first choice of headline, but who am I to complain? ;)

(*HURRY! I am told this link self-destructs -– or at least requires a subscription — after 7 days).

1. Jo
    Jo May 8, 2005 at 4:45 am | | Reply

Wow — that’s fantastic! Congrats. I read the article btw .. they did a great job.

My numbers are down btw, had a 104 last night (almost fainted actually) Maybe the metiformin increase is helping and I won’t have to do insulin. We’ll see.

2. dr.charles
    dr.charles May 8, 2005 at 7:56 pm | | Reply

very cool! despite the fact that blogging gives you an audience and instant feedback, it is still quite gratifying to be recognized by the old established media. i will read the article now!

3. Bill
    Bill May 8, 2005 at 9:26 pm | | Reply

5 years Type II on Glipizide; Average test after fasting 110. New Doctor found A1c test of 5.3; advised me to dtop Glipizide totally and come in for another A1c in 3 months; Blood test (after fasting) averaging 145 now since Glipizide deletion. Question: Can my eyes or anything else be damaged in 3 months time with 145 after fasting (untreated) blood glucose results ; am attempting to control diet, delete carbs. etc. can’t exercise much. Any advice ?

4. Living With Diabetes
    Living With Diabetes May 9, 2005 at 8:44 am | | Reply

Congratulations!

Congratulations! Diabetes Mine: Patient Blogs in the Wall Street Journal — Who, Me?? There does seem to be an explosion lately of really good diabetes patient’s blogs, and the neat part, is that we each share a different facet of…

5. AmyT
    AmyT May 9, 2005 at 9:15 am | | Reply

Hi Bill,
    Per my disclaimer, I’m not really qualified to give out certified medical advice, but it is my understanding that complications arise only after YEARS of poor control. That would mean REPEATED poor A1c results. (Sounds like you did better on the Glipizide, but you’ll want to check the ADA and other Medical sites for details). What I can tell you is: Get On It! If I were you, I’d march into that Dr’s office and demand that he help you start working on reducing your A1c now!

6. c
    c May 11, 2005 at 2:14 pm | | Reply

Amy
    Today I did a search on Symlin because my Dr. gave me a printout and an insert and said maybe you want to consider this. I was so appalled after reading the insert I decided to google “Symlin benefits”, since none were apparent in the official write ups–and your blog came up. I have now spent more time than I should have reading all the comments. And feel so much more informed. I have beet a T1 for 40 years and taken every type of insulin ever created, but am happily now on Lantus and Apidra. Still don’t know if I will seriously consider Symlin but it is nice to know there are some benefits.
    Yours is the first blog I have ever read and it is fantastic.