The ADA vs. Dr. Bernstein

The moderator of the ADA Message Board has removed my post re: “Dr. Bernstein vs. the ADA” from their forum, claiming I was trying to “create a controversy when there hasn’t been any” in order to stir things up. I think they found the title offensive. Clearly, the ADA does not like to see itself at odds with Dr.Bernstein and his followers. I guess this discussion is better off restricted to the dLife site, after all.

The reason I am so personally interested in this topic, by the way, is that the results of Dr.B’s plan appear to be AMAZING, and I’m not all that happy with the control I’m getting now. But I am having trouble understanding how people make his diet work in real life: 12 carbs for lunch? What is that, 6 blueberries? And again, I suppose you can organize nutritious low/no carb meals at home, but what about at restaurants and social events? What do you eat? AND: every nutritionist I’ve spoken to says cutting carbs so low is not healthy, so how come Dr.B’s followers seem to fare so well?!

1. Living With Diabetes
    Living With Diabetes April 20, 2005 at 9:17 am | | Reply

ADA vs. Bernstein

Diabetes Mine: The ADA vs. Dr. Bernstein I’m commenting on a Diabetes Mine post. Shame on you Amy — a lot of people would call that trolling. I do want you to realize I think it is funny. I’ve done…

2. Amy Tenderich
    Amy Tenderich April 20, 2005 at 9:44 am | | Reply

Kathleen,
    I looked up “trolling” (at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll), and was a bit taken aback! They say it has to do with “knowingly flouting social boundaries” and “breaking rules of etiquette.” Have I done that by exploring an established controversy? Wow, I’m much more revolutionary than I thought!!

3. Sean Morrison
    Sean Morrison April 20, 2005 at 11:04 am | | Reply

Amy,

I agree. Just tried the Bernstein diet for about 36 hours. Already in ketosis, feeling awful. No energy, mental function decline, etc. Just had a 64g lunch, and already starting to feel better … will know for sure in 2 hrs when I check postprandial.

The diet DID, however, do what it says with regard to blood sugar control, but at what price? I find many places on the web that state minimum carbs / day for normal brain function = 120g. I believe moderation, and a balanced diet is probably the answer … much like we’ve always been told.

4. Robert Ruby
    Robert Ruby April 20, 2005 at 12:20 pm | | Reply

Thanks for posting the link to the message board re: Dr. Bernstein. I have to say that I was very surprised to see the level of animosity between the two camps on this issue, it seemed a bit silly to me. His diet doesn’t feel very healthy to me, but it seems like it does help some of the people on it so more power to them.

5. laurel nasario
    laurel nasario April 20, 2005 at 11:49 pm | | Reply

I really don’t know what the fuss is either. you take a normal plate of dinner, maybe some chicken, a potato, some broccoli and take away the potato and replace it with salad greens and dressing. what the heck is the big deal with that? it’s the potato that’s the problem for diabetics, so take it out and put salad in. perfect!! just what the doctor ordered.

6. Amy Tenderich
    Amy Tenderich April 21, 2005 at 7:06 am | | Reply

Laurel,

7. laurel
    laurel April 21, 2005 at 10:14 am | | Reply

OF COURSE NOT! BUT THERE ARE WAYS AROUND IT. SOME THINGS YOU HAVE TO CUT OUT, SOME YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE, BUT THE DIFFERENCE IS THE CONTROL YOU HAVE WHEN YOU’RE OFF THE CARBS. YOU SAY “ALL THE FOODS OF LIFE”, BUT THOSE ARE ALSO ALL THE FOODS OF HIGH BLOOD SUGARS, FOR THOSE PRONE TO IT. ONCE YOU GET INTO THE BLOOD SUGAR PROBLEMS, YOU HAVE TO ADJUST TO RESTRICTIONS SOMEWHERE AND IF YOU CONTINUE TO EAT A LOT OF CARBS IN CEREALS, PASTA, BREAD ETC, YOUR RESTRICTIONS ARE GOING TO BE IN KIDNEY PROBLEMS, FOOT PROBLEMS ETC. I WOULD RATHER MISS A FEW TYPES OF FOODS THAN PARTS OF ME.

8. Paul Chaney
    Paul Chaney April 22, 2005 at 2:54 pm | | Reply

You trying to stir up controversy Amy? Perish the thought! :-)

9. Amy Tenderich
    Amy Tenderich April 23, 2005 at 10:18 pm | | Reply

To Laurel:
    I’m glad if going low carb has worked for you. My point was that the 6-12-12 rule is so extremely low that it constitutes more than “missing a few types of foods.” It means never having a whole apple again, for example. Not to mention dozens of foods most of us now consider essential to our health and well-being.

(also, why are you SHOUTING?)

10. laurel
    laurel April 23, 2005 at 11:40 pm | | Reply

oh my gosh, i’m sorry. i usually do capitals because i hate to capitalize certain letters, just lazy. i certainly wasn’t shouting. i have to say lo carb did work for me, i went from 450 lbs down to 319 in about 9 months then lost my job and my mom and have gained back about 55 lbs. and i’m having a HELL of a time getting back on dr b’s plan. it works, but actually DOING it right now is really HARD. my motivation isnt there, i have no medical ins and have diabetes!! i’m so sorry to have sounded the way i did, but i think i was telling myself more than anyone, and i need to get back on program, but it’s soooo hard. i feel out of control a lot of the time. any suggestions? i need to get a handle on this pretty quick or i’m going to be in big trouble.

11. laurel
    laurel April 23, 2005 at 11:48 pm | | Reply

amy, are you the amy who does this website? i LOVE to read this blog, i’m really new to computers and am just learning about emails, blogs etc. i apologize again for sounding LOUD. you are doing a great job with information for us with diabetes. keep it up, i check 3 times a day for anything new.

12. AmyT
    AmyT April 24, 2005 at 6:53 am | | Reply

Yes, Laurel, I’m the Amy who writes this blog. I’m very glad you like it!! I enjoy doing it, but it also takes up a lot of time and energy, so it’s excellent to hear that folks out there are finding it useful. (Wow, 3x/day! Can I keep up with you? :)

13. Pem
    Pem April 27, 2005 at 8:30 am | | Reply

Have you tried simply eating to your meter, as suggested at: http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm
    I find I can eat about 75 to 100 grams of carbohydrate a day, and my latest A1c was 5.2

“What about breakfast cereal? pasta? bread? fruits? tortillas? rice? All the foods of life, so to speak? Is it really so easy to cut all those out?”

I eat homemade reduced carb bread with cheese for breakfast, but there is low carb bread that is fine. Dreamfields doesn’t work for me so I gave up pasta, but my husband makes stews with lots of vegetables instead. At the local Mexican restaurant I eat carnitas on a salad. I sometimes have 1/4 cup of brown basmati rice, which has the lowest glycemic index. But really, if you have good vegetables how much are you going to miss potatoes and rice? I happen to like mashed cauliflower, and it is nice to have that mashed potato look on the plate now and then. Mashed celery root is good too. Most regular restaurants now will give you a vegetable instead of potato. I make homemade chocolate sauce with heavy cream and an 80% chocolate bar and put it over low carb icecream, and I don’t feel deprived at all.

14. Nick
    Nick May 3, 2005 at 8:31 pm | | Reply

I eat 6-12-12-12. When I’m hungry, for breakfast I have four or five strips fried bacon and black coffee and low-carb baked egg custard. When I’m not so hungry, for breakfast, I have a Wasa fiber rye crisp bread broken into crumbs, with a half teaspoon of ground cinammon and some artificial sweetener and heavy whipping cream and black coffee.

15. fernando
    fernando June 27, 2009 at 8:23 pm | | Reply

interesting site…came across it thru msn…my son is a newly diagnosed type 1….the nutritionist placed him on 3 carbs for breakfast, 4 for lunch and 4 for dinner….wasn’t easy but not hard…no choice…i want my son to live…healthy…i placed myself on the same diet and proportions as he is on….he is losing weight and not starving and i have lost my middle aged belly…thank goodness…i see alot of arguing here and i am thinking you need to support each other more….we are in the same boat in a sea of tasty foods and we just need to support each other with meal ideas maybe….anyway, good luck laurel….it’s not easy