Stem Cell Hero

Bob Klein is a San Francisco lawyer and housing developer whose teenage son has Type 1 diabetes. This man is giving his all for the cause of furthering stem cell research. He’s profiled in today’s SF Chronicle. It sounds like advocacy has essentially taken over his life: “He admits that his obsession with stem cells leaves scant time for home life these days, but insists the sacrifice will pay off if stem cell research can make some headway. ‘I’d rather spend my time this way now than later on be spending time with (my son) in the hospital,’ he said.”

Thank you, Bob.

As a progressive thinker and diabetic, I find it
difficult to understand how people can oppose stem cell research on moral
grounds
, when it has the potential to do so much good. Who or what are we protecting by blocking
this research, other than our own innate fear of change?

The US has fallen behind in stem cell research, due to the Bush Administration’s push-back (see today’s editorial in the Philadelphia Inquirer). Luckily, individual states have stepped up to the plate, with California in the lead at $3 billion over the next 10 years. But California’s Proposition 71 for state-funded research is under attack, with two lawsuits in the works that “if successful could unravel the whole stem cell experiment.” This is where Bob Klein comes in. He’s fighting mad, and working hard. Support his cause here.

Meanwhile, U.S. BioDefense, Inc. is sponsoring the first “Business of Stem Cell Research” Conference to be held in Bethesda, Maryland, on April 25. This promises to be “the best resource for business people, academicians, scientists and the media to learn about the business of stem cell research in one-place-at-one-time.” I’m just hoping they’ll post the presentation content on the Web for us supporters in absentia.

1. Living With Diabetes
    Living With Diabetes April 11, 2005 at 5:54 pm | | Reply

Diabetes Mine: Stem Cell Hero Oh, goodie, it’s working! (the trackback thing). So here is what I don’t get? Why do you think that stem cell research is being opposed? Stem cell research is going on ALL the time. Especially…

2. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor April 11, 2005 at 8:36 pm | | Reply

hey Amy,
    Keep speaking out about stem cell research~you kick ass. You are my hero!

xxoo Martha

3. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor April 11, 2005 at 8:36 pm | | Reply

hey Amy,
    Keep speaking out about stem cell research~you kick ass. You are my hero!

xxoo Martha

4. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor April 11, 2005 at 8:36 pm | | Reply

hey Amy,
    Keep speaking out about stem cell research~you kick ass. You are my hero!

xxoo Martha

5. Amy Tenderich
    Amy Tenderich April 11, 2005 at 8:56 pm | | Reply

To Kathleen,
    I understand that it is the stem cells from embryos that have the healing potential to develop into most of the 220 different cell types in the human body. You know about the Lawsuits filed to STOP this research, yes? See http://www.forbes.com/associatedpress/feeds/ap/2005/02/24/ap1845828.html. They pretend to be against it because it’s expensive and “hypothetical,” but the moral agenda is clear.

6. Elinor Acterman
    Elinor Acterman April 11, 2005 at 10:13 pm | | Reply

Bob Klein gets my vote. Hopefully, he will inspire others to step up to the plate and be advocates for future cures using stem cells. I’d like to see it happen in my lifetime so it better be soon.

7. Kathleen Weaver
    Kathleen Weaver April 12, 2005 at 1:35 pm | | Reply

Just do everyone a favor and make sure they understand what you are talking about.

You never once included the word embroynic in your post. Adult stem cell research is free to continue along with the research on the current lines.

8. Amy Tenderich
    Amy Tenderich April 12, 2005 at 2:09 pm | | Reply

The article on Bob Klein never mentions the word “embryonic” either. I think it was implied that he supports stem cell research on the whole.

9. Kathleen Weaver
    Kathleen Weaver April 13, 2005 at 3:59 am | | Reply

See — here’s a use of stem cells that come from the own patients’ fat:

So yep, all kind of stem cell research is being done:

10. Bill Braithwaite
    Bill Braithwaite April 13, 2005 at 10:30 am | | Reply

It’s time to stop pussyfooting around on Embryonic Stem Cell Research – there’s some excellent news out today on this & specifically how Drug Co.’s are afraid because of the Moral & Political & Scientific implications. I’m afraid the “Religious Right” is indeed a very very scary group – think Taliban Zealots stuck in the year 50 BC.

I’m glad people like Amy & Bob are speaking out about this!

Cheers, Bill ;) )

11. ThePef
    ThePef April 14, 2005 at 7:59 pm | | Reply

It kills me that the same group wants to use artificial means to keep someone alive, yet will not condone stem cell research that can possibly affect the lives of millions. Where is the sanity or logic in that???

12. Charles Gilbert
    Charles Gilbert April 16, 2005 at 11:53 am | | Reply

It’s easy to understand your political bias. However, the Bush administration has only banned federal funding of research with EMBRYONIC stem cells, not with adult stem cells. If the research is so promising, there is nothing to prevent private philanthropies or businesses from financing embryonic stem cell research.

It is unfortunate that many nice people such as yourself, fall prey to this political rancor. There is promising research by Dr. Denise Faustman, who has had difficulty raising funds for her diabetes research because it uses adult stem cells. Seems like the powers that be are only interested in pursuing research with embryonic stem cells, which can score some political points as well as possibly find a cure. Fortunately, Lee Iacocca has stepped in to assist her.

13. Amy Tenderich
    Amy Tenderich April 16, 2005 at 2:16 pm | | Reply

Charles,
    I have to take issue with your assumption that I am so sadly misguided. I am well aware of Dr.Faustmann’s work. Also note that Lee Iococca’s wishes his legacy to be a CURE for diabetes. He is funding Dr.Faustmann, yes, but he not shunning the possiblity that stem cell research may bring that cure. See the “Miracle Cells” article at http://www.iacoccafoundation.org/miracle_cells.htm, and my most recent post.

- AT