I Don’t Wanna Grow Up, I Just Wanna Grow Old

Today is my 39th birthday. Happy Birthday to me, nearly-gosh-darn-40! Yes, it bothers me in the sense that it does most women: wrinkles, not so hot. But I’m really less concerned about losing my youth than I am about gaining my old age. And having some fun along the way :) because, like my own mom says, “I’m still 26 in my head.”

I figure diabetes presents you with the fight-or-flight option. A woman I met recently has a brother with Type 2 diabetes who’s now undergoing dialysis for kidney failure -– following an extend period of poor care. This man is in his mid-40’s (!) I do not want this to happen to me!! I choose FIGHT, all the way!

So when I feel guilty about going to the gym regularly instead of spending extra time with my kids, I think: I’m doing this for the future. For their future. So their mom is someone who travels with them, attends their events, and eventually helps them with their own kids -– instead of someone they visit in the hospital, or someone they remember.

And when I’m at the gym doing hamstring curls to “Joy to the World” at 8:30am on a Saturday (great way to lower BG levels), I try not to think of it as punishment, but rather as my own little version of “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.” Afterwards, I can go home and play legos, and dance to Goofy on “The Disney Playhouse” with the kids. Acting old is a choice I won’t make.

I still shop at Victoria’s Secret. Because people on lots of prescription drugs can be sexy, too, right? RIGHT?

For my birthday, I get to go out for a special dinner with the love of my life (!), whom I have had the luck and honor to be married to for the last 14 years. Instead of a birthday wish, I’ll be making a three-part resolution: Stay healthy. Stay healthy. Stay healthy! And many happy returns. Birthdays are great. Think of the alternative…

1. Laura
    Laura April 21, 2005 at 7:30 am | | Reply

Happy Birthday! I share your thoughts as well! Keeping healthy is a goal everyone should have, even those without diabetes. I feel I am much more healthy now than before I was diagnosed because I eat healthier and exercise more! Enjoy your day! Laura

2. birdwoman
    birdwoman April 21, 2005 at 7:58 am | | Reply

Happy Birthday To You
    You Live In A Zoo….

figuring if you have kids, that much is true. The rest – well I know I look and smell monkey-like when I work out, so maybe that’s applicable too.

Happy 26th (hah)!

(*)>

3. Shannon Lewis
    Shannon Lewis April 21, 2005 at 8:17 am | | Reply

Happy Happy Birthday. Didn’t you know the 30′s are the new 20′s? So you’re really 29. I love, love, love your attitude. It’s so much like mine minus the diabetes aspect of it ; )

Shannon

4. Patrick Schmidt
    Patrick Schmidt April 21, 2005 at 8:20 am | | Reply

Happy Birthday, Amy.

Since the topic is exercise, I was wondering if anyone has found it more beneficial to exercise before or after eating. I realize that it probably varies among individuals, but I exercise at lunch time and am constantly debating whether to eat immediately before or after…

5. Robert Ruby
    Robert Ruby April 21, 2005 at 11:31 am | | Reply

Happy Birthday!

WRT excercise, I always excercise before a meal just because I have a hard time with rapidly falling blood sugars if I excercise right after a meal bolus, which usually leads me to have to have a bunch of extra carbs so I end up all over the place. I’d be interested in other approaches.

6. Martha O'Connor

Martha

9. Gina
    Gina April 21, 2005 at 6:50 pm | | Reply

Happy Bday!! Hope you get lots of presents and “good numbers” this year hahah

10. Paul Chaney
    Paul Chaney April 22, 2005 at 2:43 pm | | Reply

Happy belated birthday Amy. 39 is not so bad. Wait until you hit 49! That’s where I am.

11. John Anderson
    John Anderson April 24, 2005 at 3:42 pm | | Reply

At 59, still hope

Meanwhile *Diabetes study raises cancer hopes* http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/PA_NEWA51361571114084664A00?source=PA%20Feed
    “Tests by University of Dundee scientists suggest people with Type 2 diabetes who take metformin may have a reduced risk of developing cancer of more than 25%.”

12. Violet
    Violet April 25, 2005 at 6:55 am | | Reply

Happy happy birthday!

Girl, if I can be sexy with my infusion set, you know a little poke in the belly now and then ain’t a thing. Unless you need an excuse to shop MORE at Victoria’s Secret :)

My exercise comment: I go after lunch, with lowered basal & sometimes lowered lunch bolus depending on the activity. It took some experimentation to make this work, but I’m very happy with being able to reduce my lunchtime insulin by walking afterward.

13. Angsuman Chakraborty
    Angsuman Chakraborty April 27, 2005 at 11:43 pm | | Reply

> Instead of a birthday wish, I’ll be making a three-part resolution: Stay healthy. Stay healthy. Stay healthy!

How about getting cured? The cure scenario looks promising by the day, may not be by your next birthday though, but hopefully in 3-4 years.

14. AmyT
    AmyT April 28, 2005 at 7:20 am | | Reply

Hi Angsuman,
    A cure would be a dream, of course! But right now I’m focused on learning to live well with the tools we have available — and hopefully helping others do the same.

I’m adding your diabetes cure site to my blogroll, by the way.

Thank you!
    - Amy

15. terry
    terry May 4, 2005 at 2:44 pm | | Reply

Happy birthday, kiddo! Pushing 40 isn’t so bad. Last year I had my 25th class reunion. I went to the gift shop in the hotel looking for some M&Ms (hypoglycemia came on) and the young cashier asked if I was here for the class reunion? I replied “Yes I was.” She asked me “What is it? Your 10th?” “Well, thank you….” 42 and can pass for 27. You’re as young as you feel, kid.