Bad News, You Can’t Use

I am in total agreement with Violet over at Pumplandia that the influx of negative diabetes news gets you DOWN. That’s why I’m trying to make this blog an upbeat place. I did say “encouragement” in the header for a reason :)

You know what? I kind of had my blinders on before I started this blog: I figured all I needed to know was how to use the equipment they gave me, and screw everything else! But being ultra-conscientious (OK, a bit of a control freak), I couldn’t shake the nagging feeling that it IS important to have an idea what’s going on in the Diabetes World. And for me, coming out this way has been part of getting over the denial that I am, in actual fact, diabetic.

Once I started paying attention: owie! Like when I signed up for the ADA Diabetes E-News Now! newsletter, the first three email notices came bearing bad-news-bomb headlines: “Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Midlife Linked to Risk of Dementia,” “Diabetes Triples Risk of Liver Cancer,” and “Diabetes Crisis Looms.” And then of course, the myriad of negative headlines everywhere about Diabetes AND: gum disease, severe obesity, depression, kidney damage, eye deterioration, caffeine consumption, stress, smoking, sleep apnea … you name it! Now isn’t that rosy?

Yes, lots of this is important medical info, but I’m working so hard to stay in good control –- pleeeaaase tell me something happy for once! The ADA newsletter, for one, does have lots of good articles. But man, those subject headers get me down. I feel like DELETING most the moment I see them.

What was it about laughter being the best medicine? WebMD reported recently that “Laughter May Build Healthy Blood Vessels.” Researchers found actual proof that watching funny movies has a healthy effect on blood vessel function. Now that is news I can use!

In all honesty, I do think the single most important thing we can do for ourselves as diabetics is to remain upbeat (check out the “Glucose Goddess,” for example). Sure, we have a lot to be bummed about, but we also have a lot to be thankful for. It hasn’t escaped me that even though I may be skeptical of the pharma industry’s tactics, we are ever-so-lucky to be diabetics in the age of the Biotech Boom. Each new drug and treatment brings us closer to the end goal of a CURE…

1. Violet
    Violet March 23, 2005 at 4:17 pm | | Reply

I had the exact same reaction to the ADA newsletter heads, particularly the liver cancer one. Made me kinda furious. Their PR person needs to consider that if no one can stand to OPEN the e-mails, their information is gonna have trouble reaching the target audience…

There’s a place in between, I hope, where one can stay informed and be an effective self-advocate, yet not succumb (too often, or too long-term) to the many motivators toward despair. That’s the place I’m seeking.

And yes, your blog is definitely a positive zone in my book (and I am, as noted elsewhere, getting pretty finicky about that). Thanks for creating it.

2. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor March 23, 2005 at 10:23 pm | | Reply

That Glucose Goddess link was great. I hope she writes a book. I’d buy it.

When I get really down, I think about what it was like before the days of home glucose testing. In the very early days of insulin when it was SO hit-and-miss.

Did you read Wisdom of the Elders?

It went around my parents list some time ago. Read it. It’s excellent. xxoo Martha

3. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor March 23, 2005 at 10:23 pm | | Reply

That Glucose Goddess link was great. I hope she writes a book. I’d buy it.

Did you read Wisdom of the Elders?

4. Martha O'Connor
    Martha O'Connor March 23, 2005 at 10:23 pm | | Reply

That Glucose Goddess link was great. I hope she writes a book. I’d buy it.

Did you read Wisdom of the Elders?

5. Pam
    Pam March 28, 2005 at 1:08 pm | | Reply

I am so much healthier since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes than I was before. I’ve lost over 50 lbs. and turned myself into an athlete (training for a sprint triathlon in May). And I’m 49 years old. I have new confidence in myself, particularly being able to say “This is what works for me.” I feel blessed.

6. Amy Tenderich
    Amy Tenderich March 28, 2005 at 4:19 pm | | Reply

Pam, you are my herione!! Thank you so much for posting here. I, too, feel better & healthier than I have in years since my D-diagnosis. Ironic, but true! The one positive thing about this disease is that it makes taking good care of yourself absolutely mandatory.

7. Dianne Eliason
    Dianne Eliason April 1, 2005 at 6:12 pm | | Reply

You wished for a positive comment so here’s mine.

My girlfriend and I are both diabetics.
    She’s had diabetes for 38 yrs. and I’m
    going on 44 yrs. now.

Both of us have gone thru our trials and tribulations as my friend was blind for 2 yrs. and on kidney dialysis list with kidneys function approx 20%. My kidneys were
    down functioning at 25% at one point.

Today, both of us are relatively healthy with few complications left to speak of thru the use of conc.foods. I still have a slight neuropathy. My friend can drive now!!!

I wish all to know that you can live a long
    and happy life even with diabetes. It can
    also be a productive one as well.

God bless all and hope you can all take
    charge of your healthcare.

Come check out my site as well if you get
    a chance.

SunniD

8. Laura the Don't Diabetes....LIVabetes! Glucose Goddess

Hi fellow pin cushions!
    Just a chuckle from the Glucose Goddess!

“I try to keep my blood sugar levels within range and my swearing to a minimum. If I had a $1.00 for every time my blood sugar levels were within range, I would have oh about $13 bucks… and if I had a $1.00 for everytime I swore when they weren’t; I would be %&*&**# Rich!
    With Love and Chocolate and Humalog,
    Remember what the Glucose Goddess says, “Don’t Diabetes….LIVabetes!!!”

9. Laura the Don't Diabetes....LIVabetes! Glucose Goddess

Hi fellow pin cushions!
    Just a chuckle from the Glucose Goddess!

With Love and Chocolate and Humalog,
    Remember what the Glucose Goddess says, “Don’t Diabetes….LIVabetes!!!”

10. Laura the Don't Diabetes....LIVabetes! Glucose Goddess

Hi fellow pin cushions!
    Just a chuckle from the Glucose Goddess!

With Love and Chocolate and Humalog,
    Remember what the Glucose Goddess says, “Don’t Diabetes….LIVabetes!!!”