New & Exciting! The Patient-Pundit Goes Live

Today I go live with my first thoughts and musings on diabetes. Excited to think that anyone anywhere will have access to the fodder that consumes so much of my thoughts and energy these days. Surely I’m not the only one overwhelmed enough by the juggling act this disease requires, let alone the plethora of news and information.

Let’s put it this way, if I do an Internet search on a topic like, say, “diabetes foot care,” I get over 2 million hits! I kid you not! I’ve found scores of diabetes resource lists, fact sheets, directories, FAQs, guidelines documents and “About” pages. Not to mention the headlines and health news sites and newsletters and home video guides. Whew! What’s a busy diabetic to do? For me, the answer that’s forming is this: Talk Back. Observe, filter, and comment (with the key being the middle step). And share your personal experiences. How wonderful to have a tool like a blog to communicate with others touched by diabetes! I guess I’m imagining myself a sort of “patient-pundit”: not an expert exactly, but quite the lively commentator. Welcome to “Diabetes Mine.”

1. Garry
    Garry February 28, 2005 at 5:08 pm | | Reply

Thanks for taking the time and effort to start your blog. Looking forward to reading your comments on a regular basis. As a fairly new diabetic, it’s comforting to read the thoughts and comments of other folks in a similar situation. Good luck!

2. Violet
    Violet February 28, 2005 at 7:52 pm | | Reply

Welcome to the blogging world, Amy! Your blog looks great. I’m excited to see it and to get a glimpse into the mind of another Type 1 chick. Keep it coming!

3. Nick
    Nick March 1, 2005 at 2:13 pm | | Reply

You’re right, Amy (is it Amy?). There is a ton of
    money to be made off diabetes survivors. I just completed my 13th year of living with Type 1 diabetes. UGGGGHHH! What a long, strange trip it’s been!!!

Wow, I switched from NPH to Lantus four months before you were diagnosed with this hormone deficiency. That was the best change in therapy
    in my thirteen years experience! Until late 2004….

(1) My basic interests and goals as a person have not changed.

(2) In the fall of 2004, I started surfing the web to see if any American with IDDM had learned to fly an airplane yet. That is how I discovered, through Doug Cairns (http://www.diabetesworldflight.com/) that this disease needn’t prevent any human being from doing what he sets his heart on doing. Doug has helped me learn of Dr. Richard K. Bernstein, who has lived with this disease for nearly six decades and who devoted his life to normalizing blood sugars, and who started blood glucose self-monitoring by patients.

By practicing Dr. Bernstein’s methods, I have normalized my blood sugars. I still suffer from hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia, but much less often. And I’ve stopped riding that wretched roller coaster of widely fluctuating blood sugars.

Reading Dr. Bernstein’s book was the second, and
    greater major improvement in my IDDM therapy. I learned from him that the complications of diabetes can be reversed in some cases by normalizing blood sugars, that all blood sugars can be normalized–not just average blood sugar, and that it’s possible to get off the wicked roller coaster.

On January 12, 2005, I started eating exclusively according to Dr. Bernstein’s principles, after having played with them for a couple of months. My blood sugars are markedly better. I feel much more energetic and stable.

With my physical health restored, I have regained mental clarity. Now I am focussing my consciousness on solving life’s problems. So far I have identified four psychological challenges have kept me living in this deep, dark pit of poverty and despair four years of joblessness has thrown me into. I feel quite capable of achieving anything I set my mind to. Although I am still quite depressed over having lost touch with the love of my life.

IF you are a diabetes survivor, whether type 1 or 2 or 1.5, run–don’t walk–to your local bookstore to get Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution (2003 edition, published by Little Brown, & Co. of Boston). Meanwhile, while you’re waiting, you can read selected excerpts from his book at his website http://www.diabetes-book.com.

I honestly feel my life has in a sense been renewed. Through my own efforts. But made possible only through the information provided by Richard Bernstein.

Now begins the real work of finding hope, vision, and restoring joy to my psche.

Later,

Nick

4. guitarjim
    guitarjim March 2, 2005 at 12:29 am | | Reply

Hi Amy: Your website looks terrific and im sure you’ll get tons of posts. I am a diabetes type 1 owner times 2 years (my diabetes is for sale! anyone want to buy it cheap?) anyway i got diabetes from damaging my pancreas from years of drinking beer and wine. I got my first bout of pancreatitis in 1999 followed by 7 hospitalizations for the same and then diagnosed with type 1 the later part of 2002..when i first was diagnosed, i really didnt feel crappy except for the unquenchable thirst, however, in the past 2 years i definitely feel my disease especially with the neuropathy i have in my feet and legs and the comatose like state i get into when my b/s gets high..i do really hate this disease now but with hard work it can be managed..anyhow thanks for letting me ramble on your site and i look forward to reading other peoples posts..thanks and take care jim..

5. Paul Chaney
    Paul Chaney March 2, 2005 at 9:42 pm | | Reply

Amy,
    Wow! You really are a prolific writer. This is an awesome blog, and I know it’s going to be hugely popular.

Thanks for doing this. It is service to all in the diabetic community. I hope it serves to stimulate others to emulate what you’ve done. (Stimulate to emulate. Ha!)

6. Nick
    Nick March 3, 2005 at 4:29 pm | | Reply

I bought Lantus and Humalog from CVS on Dec 10 and again on January 12th. On December 10, the Lantus cost 71.99 and the humalog 67.99. The following month, the prices had risen to 75.59 and 72.99. A five percent price increase in less than one month!!! I am going to import my med’s from Canada as soon as possible. CVS will put themselves out of business with these insane price increases.

7. Terry
    Terry March 5, 2005 at 8:58 am | | Reply

Diagnosed in Jun 98. Brief illness, became dehydrated throwing up water for 3 days. Taken to doctor, blood sugar read 540! Thought I was gonna die. Since then, 2 additional hospital stays for dehydration, 2 hospital stays for kidney stone removal (most recent Jan. 05) and an immediate return after a severe “sensitivity” to pain reliever acetaminaphine/codiene (Tylenol 3). Two sessions of retinal laser surgery. Despite health insurance, I still got bills up the yingyang. Fast forward to today currently on 2 Glucovance (generic form glyburide/metformin), 1 Avandia both twice daily. 15 units of Lantus at bedtime, soon to change to a cheaper store brand I’ll have to take twice daily. 1 Lovostatin. My cholesterol has never been a problem. LDL consistently under 100/high 90s. Six months ago, my doctor would have considered my last cholesterol reading “peachy” (yes, that was her medical prognosis – peachy) BUT! She read a study that determined some high risk groups – diabetics among them – should have a recommended LDL of 70. 3 months on just one Lipitor daily and my LDL dropped 50 points. I’m now on a generic lovostatin since as of Jan. 1 2005, my prescription copay went from $25 – $40 brand name, $10 – no change for generic. Now I’m not a moan & groan “oh woe is me” diabetic. I have a full-time job keeping me active all day (I consider it my exercise), I also ride a bike when the weather is warm. I attend minor league baseball games locally (either Beloit (WI) Snappers (Class A Midwest League aff. of Twins) or Rockford (IL) Riverhawks (Independent Frontier League). I’m a couch potato whose favorite TV shows are That 70s Show, JAG, NCIS, Raw & Smackdown and Desperate Housewives. I listen to music and try to keep happy. Don’t let diabetes become a death sentence.

8. Elinor
    Elinor March 12, 2005 at 6:31 pm | | Reply

I’m learning a great deal and due to your witty writing I’m also laughing alot. That’s 2 for 2.

Thank you!!!!!!

9. reinhild quade
    reinhild quade March 15, 2005 at 11:28 am | | Reply

Hy Amy!
    Your web site is great.
    I know a lot of type II diabetics who do not want to take any medicine but want to inject insuline when they know about their illness. I think they are right because it makes their illness become more real for them. I hope you can understand what I want to say!!!

10. guitarjim
    guitarjim May 4, 2005 at 2:59 pm | | Reply

Congratulations on that wonderful article in the Wall Street Journal today.. It should improve the traffic on your blog because the WSJ reaches millions of people.Take care..Jim Holland

11. J9
    J9 May 5, 2005 at 8:27 am | | Reply

I’m one of those millions who read the WSJ daily and was eager to check-out diabetesmine. So far I like what I see (thanks Amy). I’m the child of a type-1 diabetic and have lived the 34 yrs of my life “with” the disease. I’m currently dealing with how to help my father manage his diabetes and having reactions at night. He uses an insulin pump and tests regularly, but has had four serious low blood sugar incidents recently that he says are unmanageable. I understand there is some sort of watch that alerts a patient of an impending low blood sugar but my father says he can’t use it because he perspires easily. Any insights…?

12. Gail
    Gail June 16, 2006 at 6:59 am | | Reply

Just found your site. I will add you to my favorites. I am wondering if you have any comments on diamoxol and maybe any of your readers have tried it?

13. Michelle
    Michelle October 24, 2006 at 9:49 am | | Reply

I bought my dad Diamoxol a 3 month supply, I noticed he stopped coughing and had more energy during the 3 months. His doctor noticed a difference and asked him what he changed. Now I just bought him a 10 month supply. I really cant afford it, but its for my dad, who always took care of me. Hope that helps.

14. Ghyan
    Ghyan April 8, 2007 at 2:26 pm | | Reply

My husband has Diabetes 1.5 and I’d like to know if any of your bloggers have found Diamoxol to lower blood sugar. I read the last blog where Diamaxol stopped cough. Diamoxol claims to lower blood sugar. I hope to hear from anybody who have used Diamaxol.

15. Matt
    Matt April 16, 2007 at 7:51 am | | Reply

Ghyan,
    I’ve known people who’ve used both Diamaxol and a much less expensive alternative called Blood Sugar Formula by a company called Vitabase. The formulas are essentially the same except for a difference in the amount of chromium. Generally the results have been very positive. Here is a comparison of the two products: http://www.vitabase.com/supplements/information/diamaxol_compare.aspx

16. Bev
    Bev December 6, 2007 at 10:04 am | | Reply

Hi Amy: Just found your website and really enjoyed reading through it. I am a CDE and T1 for over 40 years. I wanted to add one point to your discussion about hypoglycemic unawareness. Symptoms of hypoglycemia depend not only upon the actual BG but also on the rate of blood glucose fall. This means that for pumpers especially, if the BG slowly drifts down over the course of time from a low normal to an actual low, stress hormones may very likely not be released as the normally would be, increasing the risk of unawareness. This is a patently UNFAIR side effect of ggod control—the closer one is to maintaining a normal BG, the less far they have to go to become low. I love the work you’re doing. Hope you’ll keep it up.

17. Greg
    Greg January 8, 2008 at 3:41 pm | | Reply

Regarding Diamaxol:

I came on here to try and learn more about it myself. I have just been diagnosed with type II. So far I have only found one negative blog about Diamaxol claiming it is a fraud. Here is the issue that I have with that blog. The only thing that the person used for an arguement was that it was not scientifically proven to work. That’s it? So that makes it a fraud. It seems to me that every drug for this disease that I have researched has serious side effects. The FDA will approve those drugs, but not a product that claims that a 98% success rate with no side effects. I would question the FDA and their motives. Drugs are big business and us poor suckers with these diseases are now a revenue supply for the industry. Does anyone out there have any real issues with Diamaxol? Or if anyone knows of anything other than it is not scientific proven that I shouldn’t try this drug, please email me.

18. Greg
    Greg January 8, 2008 at 3:43 pm | | Reply

gbonito@hotmail.com

I forgot to mention my email in the above post.

19. lyn
    lyn August 20, 2008 at 6:32 pm | | Reply

Hello:
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in feb 2007. Doctor prescribed glipized 5 mg 2x a day and zocor 40 mg 1/2 tablet a day for my high cholestrol. i was on these meds for approximately 1 month and started to feel ill and my bones started to feel brittle. I knew i had to do something fast; started searching the web and orderd from micronutra.com diamoxol for my diabetes and cholestasys for my high cholestrol. once they came, i stopped the meds cold turkey w/o advising my doctor. after 3 months my doctor sent me to the lab for fasting test and my sugar level dropped from 98 points (from 248 to 158) and my cholestrol level was back to normal lipid total cholestrol 179 mg (previous test was 278) and my triglycerides to 132 mg (good) hdl cholestrerol 55 mg (good) and ldl choesterol 98 mg (100 and less is ideal for most). i do recommend taking these products if you are seeking natural, alternative meds vs chemical meds perscribed by our doctors that are killing us. i’ve recommended these supps to all my friends with great results. the FDA managed to get micronutra.com off the site for a couple of months but they are back on. the company is not fraudulent so please order your supplements and get healthy! those that ordered right before they were removed, call their customer service reps to get your supps asap. good luck to all and stay healthy!